Discuss Curious Question buzzing and dimmers... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

Electricalserv

Back when I was in training I always remember the boss had a problem with a buzzing dimmer on downlighters.

Solved it by changing the voltage of the dimmer....

Can someone tell me why the dimmer buzzed, didn't take enough interest at the time but would like to know why???

like to know the answer myself. bloody pain with dimmers buzzing.

...... Where's IQ when you need him.......

Right

They buzz because they "chop" the ac wave before it gets to the peak to lower the output voltage.
It's switching 100s of times a second
Compare it to a strobe light but faster... That's where the buzzing comes in.

Sorry for the quick reply, but it's not easy one to answer with two kids calling you!!!!!

EDIT..... Sorry the first version didn't quite make sense. It was like talking to the man in the Chinese

Last edited:
It is dependent on if it is a Triac or a Thyristor type. Though a Triac is just a combined number of thyristors in a single situation normally 2.

Whichever ones you choose they are basically just high speed switches and they are chopping or interupting the sinosidual mains wave on it's cylce, in other words they are taking our nice curve wave form and making it square.

A transformer that is designed for use with a Triac dimmer will be ok. A transformer that isn't puts the Triac under stress and that is the low buzzing sound you can hear as it's literally working against itself, and the more lights or load on it the louder it will be.

The reason I know this ...................lol I just had to fit some dimmers into a conference room as the ones installed less than 6 months ago were buzzing.

It can also be just that the dimmer is underpowered for the load current. EG 250W max dimmer with 3x100A lamps.

Reply to Curious Question buzzing and dimmers... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock