Discuss Customer doesn't want LABC notified. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Ponty Massive

Have been completely rewiring a house where the builder (owner) has totally gutted the place. The only thing original is the outside walls. He's a retired guy and is doing the work to move into the house himself. Long story short, he tell's me he hasn't got any planning permission for the works and doesn't want me to inform LABC on completion!

Anyone come across a simular situation?

Tell him tough, they have to be notified, but that they never come and check as you are certfied as OK with them (assuming you're part of a scheme).

If he's still iffy about it just bloody notify it but direct the certificate to your place and keep hold of it. The rules are you have to notify, there's no rule saying you have to give the customer the certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive just been given a job by a builder who says the customer isn't interested in having a electrical certificate done...

I'm going to do it anyway, as all my work must comply to part P so why not test it, they can do what they like with the cert on e I've given it to them

Again TPES you don't even have to give it to them, the rules are you have to make a cert and keep a copy of it, that's all.

it's the duty of the house owner to notify LABC, so do the job, do the EIC. if he don't want it, keep it. if you are a scheme member, notifty them as usual. you have then covered yourself.

Good point. Even if you're on a scheme you could write on the EIC 'customer has declined notification to LABC and has takken the responsibility to do so himself'

don't even need to do that, it's his responsibility to notify, and if he don't it's not the sparks' problem. as long as you do your job and cert. it. then any comeback will be to him.

Being in the part P scam, surely it's my responsibility not his?

no, it's his responsibility. you notify elecsa, or whoever, and they notify BC on his behalf. the onus in law is on him.

Not if he's told you not to...... that's why I would at least make a note of it on the certs... it's ultimately his responsibility to make sure it's notified, either by going through LABC or hiring a part p sparks. So if he's told you not to notify, and you can interpret that as he wants to notify, then you are absolved of responsibility.

Think it's rock and hard place.....

If you don't notify you'll be wrong with the Part P schemes

if you do... Then he might claim breach of contract.... Although I doubt he'll want it going that far if he's not got planning

i would ring elecsa and explain. they may be able to advise.

Think it's rock and hard place.....

If you don't notify you'll be wrong with the Part P schemes

if you do... Then he might claim breach of contract.... Although I doubt he'll want it going that far if he's not got planning

Maybe I'll issue the cert, wait for the cheque to clear then notify elecsa.... Got 30 days anyhow !!

give it at least a fortnight after the cheque has cleared. some have a bad habit of "unclearing"

i would notify!!!! whats to say in a months time he screws up and causes a problem in the house that BC have to come out and investigate!! then they ask where is your elecy certs and why did you not tell us..! then he says i though the spark was doing that!!!

catch 22....!! he obviously hiding some thing!! cheque cleared BC informed..!! :) simples!

Had exactly the same, Guy didnt have planning just put it up, Soon as i started to expliain he probaly would nt be insured if i didnt notify he changed his tune.
Id say if you dont notifiy your leaving yourself wide open at a later date. You could argue tho that you didnt do it and its up to him to prove differrent.
The only person here gaining anything is him and you could get in trouble/be kicked off by your Governing body etc etc
As durham said he ll be quick enough to drop the blame onto you.

maybe the best way forward would be to notify elecsa as normal, but inform elecsa that thew client has requested that LABC not be notified. you have then covered your ---, done everything by the book, elecsa will probably say " sod him" and notify. you can then say to the client that you ( personally ) have not notified LABC.

Reply to Customer doesn't want LABC notified. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net