Discuss Customer is asking for hob to be fired up and put on the cert? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
ive just had a text from my customer which follows:

Cal, you need to power up the hob mate, first thing in the morning, its part of your remit, should be on the cert, see you there.

Weve just finished a full rewire there, all tested, all good and passed, hob working, (its electric FYI) certs handed over. i dont quite understand what hes asking me to do, SHOULD i have written on the cert that the hob fires up ok? ive never had anyone ask for this before....

it is an insurance job so maybe its for that??

the bloke chatters rubbish half the time anyway but hes the man i get my money off so i need to make sure hes happy after all.....

*EDIT*

I best mention that the hob was on the certificate lol

No not yet....

only finished the job yesterday.

i need to go anyway to drop key off but when he asked for this i kind of looked at the text with a rather blank expression?!

I didn't realise connecting up appliances was part of the schedule of results sheet, I thought we were only responsible for actual circuits, perhaps you are responsible for kettles, fridges and microwaves as well haha

I didn't realise connecting up appliances was part of the schedule of results sheet, I thought we were only responsible for actual circuits, perhaps you are responsible for kettles, fridges and microwaves as well haha

thats why im here haha... I thought the same...

best drag my pat tester out while im there....

Who supplied the hob? I wouldn't put it on the cert but if you supplied it and it all works ok maybe just put it on the invoice, sounds like a strange thing to ask though, i would say your remit ends at the end of the circuit

If it speeds up payment for you then get it done and put on cert hob tested and functioning correctly,job done payment in due course,some clients do come out with blurb but keeping them happy= quicker payment,then no arguments,all happy

hob came with kitchen i think. I didnt get it anyway. the only thing i can think of what he might be on about is if ive put cooker on the cert instead of hob *school boy error*

i cant be bothered going to the van to find the copy though, its cold out....

I doubt i did tho i triple checked all was good on it, hes a scary customer when things arent right so id of noticed that ha........

OH WELL.....

hey rob, purely out of interest fella, where would cal put on the completion certificate he connected up a hob to the newley installed circuit and it was tested as okay and safe to use?

hey rob, purely out of interest fella, where would cal put on the completion certificate he connected up a hob to the newley installed circuit and it was tested as okay and safe to use?

You dont.
a cert contains details only relating to the final circuits and its purpose / destination.
who actually supplied the hob is neither here nor there , if the circuit checks out ok then by default the equipment can be connected and energized , nothing else needs to be recorded.
Dont for 1 second be harrased by the customer as to what gets written on the cert , your the professional not him.

You dont.
a cert contains details only relating to the final circuits and its purpose / destination.
who actually supplied the hob is neither here nor there , if the circuit checks out ok then by default the equipment can be connected and energized , nothing else needs to be recorded.
Dont for 1 second be harrased by the customer as to what gets written on the cert , your the professional not him.
I would say who supplied it counts, if i supply goods and fittings and when energised they don't work its my problem and a reason not to get paid but if the customer has supplied something and it don't work thats their problem, you still get paid because you've done your job and installed it for them

You can't change the purpose of your certs to satisfy a customer's request. It's that simple. Just go and have a chat with him, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Speaking of using certs for other things, yesterday I found the wife had made a shopping list on the back of one of mine. Cheers, love. :)

yup we know that Biff, just having a laugh about it fella.

- - - Updated - - -

thats for notes about the installation on a periodic or whatever it is called these days, not for explanations about connected appliances surely.

I know what it's for but if you want to keep the customer happy add whatever notes you want, the relevance could be immaterial....IMO. As long as all has been carried out correctly, where's the problem?

For what it worth I'm with rob, you have a additional notes section, if that is what the customer is asking for then it's probably because he wants to show that the appliance was fitted by a comp persons to the insurance co, as has been said, flick it on, make sure that it works and record it on the cert. I know what others have said about it not being under the scope of the cert but I would word it that it was a functionality test only and that no testing was carried out to prove integrity of components/earth etc etc.

In this day and age we all end up doing things above and beyond just to facilitate quick and hassle free payment!!!

Extent of the installation for this certificate "Full rewire . . . . . connect hob and oven . . . . ." Like the others have said, if it speeds up payment, put it on the cert even if it's not the usual thing you'd do.

Reply to Customer is asking for hob to be fired up and put on the cert? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net