Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Customer is asking for hob to be fired up and put on the cert? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. calpol91

calpol91 Regular EF Member

ive just had a text from my customer which follows:

Cal, you need to power up the hob mate, first thing in the morning, its part of your remit, should be on the cert, see you there.

Weve just finished a full rewire there, all tested, all good and passed, hob working, (its electric FYI) certs handed over. i dont quite understand what hes asking me to do, SHOULD i have written on the cert that the hob fires up ok? ive never had anyone ask for this before....

it is an insurance job so maybe its for that??

the bloke chatters rubbish half the time anyway but hes the man i get my money off so i need to make sure hes happy after all.....

*EDIT*

I best mention that the hob was on the certificate lol

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Have you been paid? if so, politely ask you why he needs you.... if not you better go!

• Like Like x 1
  3. calpol91

No not yet....

only finished the job yesterday.

i need to go anyway to drop key off but when he asked for this i kind of looked at the text with a rather blank expression?!

4. MDJ

MDJ Guest

I didn't realise connecting up appliances was part of the schedule of results sheet, I thought we were only responsible for actual circuits, perhaps you are responsible for kettles, fridges and microwaves as well haha

• Like Like x 2
  5. calpol91

thats why im here haha... I thought the same...

best drag my pat tester out while im there....

• Like Like x 1
  6. monkeyelectric

monkeyelectric Electrician's Arms

Who supplied the hob? I wouldn't put it on the cert but if you supplied it and it all works ok maybe just put it on the invoice, sounds like a strange thing to ask though, i would say your remit ends at the end of the circuit

• Like Like x 1
  7. robsparky1975

robsparky1975 Trusted Advisor

If it speeds up payment for you then get it done and put on cert hob tested and functioning correctly,job done payment in due course,some clients do come out with blurb but keeping them happy= quicker payment,then no arguments,all happy

8. calpol91

hob came with kitchen i think. I didnt get it anyway. the only thing i can think of what he might be on about is if ive put cooker on the cert instead of hob *school boy error*

i cant be bothered going to the van to find the copy though, its cold out....

I doubt i did tho i triple checked all was good on it, hes a scary customer when things arent right so id of noticed that ha........

OH WELL.....

9. MDJ

MDJ Guest

hey rob, purely out of interest fella, where would cal put on the completion certificate he connected up a hob to the newley installed circuit and it was tested as okay and safe to use?

10. calpol91

also my next question lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

Additional notes?

12. Guest55

Guest55 Guest

You dont.
    a cert contains details only relating to the final circuits and its purpose / destination.
    who actually supplied the hob is neither here nor there , if the circuit checks out ok then by default the equipment can be connected and energized , nothing else needs to be recorded.
    Dont for 1 second be harrased by the customer as to what gets written on the cert , your the professional not him.

• Like Like x 8
  13. MDJ

MDJ Guest

yup we know that Biff, just having a laugh about it fella.

- - - Updated - - -

thats for notes about the installation on a periodic or whatever it is called these days, not for explanations about connected appliances surely.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Guest55

Guest55 Guest

i didnt say it for your benefit.
    ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  15. monkeyelectric

monkeyelectric Electrician's Arms

I would say who supplied it counts, if i supply goods and fittings and when energised they don't work its my problem and a reason not to get paid but if the customer has supplied something and it don't work thats their problem, you still get paid because you've done your job and installed it for them

16. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

You can't change the purpose of your certs to satisfy a customer's request. It's that simple. Just go and have a chat with him, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Speaking of using certs for other things, yesterday I found the wife had made a shopping list on the back of one of mine. Cheers, love. :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

I know what it's for but if you want to keep the customer happy add whatever notes you want, the relevance could be immaterial....IMO. As long as all has been carried out correctly, where's the problem?

18. High Tower

High Tower Trusted Advisor

For what it worth I'm with rob, you have a additional notes section, if that is what the customer is asking for then it's probably because he wants to show that the appliance was fitted by a comp persons to the insurance co, as has been said, flick it on, make sure that it works and record it on the cert. I know what others have said about it not being under the scope of the cert but I would word it that it was a functionality test only and that no testing was carried out to prove integrity of components/earth etc etc.

In this day and age we all end up doing things above and beyond just to facilitate quick and hassle free payment!!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. MDJ

MDJ Guest

There is no problem, just a very unusual request to certify a hob on a certificate, I get what your saying, I just wouldn't do it myself.

20. Steve_P

Steve_P Guest

Extent of the installation for this certificate "Full rewire . . . . . connect hob and oven . . . . ." Like the others have said, if it speeds up payment, put it on the cert even if it's not the usual thing you'd do.

21. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Trusted Advisor

Like to see what happens if 7 months down the line the unit breaks down and you get the call ........your hob you certified, one of the plates are not working and is under warranty

Why should you as a contractor sit on the phone and the conversation goes as follows

....."yes I did put that is was working on my cert but I don't take responsibility for warranty of the unit etc etc"

"......But your certificate and terms and conditions cover warranty on the installation, so why not the hob"

"...........Yes but that is true, but ................"

Make sure if you put something about the hob on a cert, you also put that warranty is covered by the manufacturer and get them to sign off on it

• Like Like x 4
  22. Guest55

Guest55 Guest

Malc is exactly right , recording details of appliances on a cert is asking for trouble down the line.
    ownership and warrantee issues are decided by possession of receipts and invoices - not an EIC , which is why no certificate approved by bs7671 asks you to record who supplied what.
    quite simply , youre making a rod for your own back by agreeing to the customers demands.

• Like Like x 1
  23. MDJ

MDJ Guest

Nope still wouldn't do it steve, sorry I'm stead fast on this one fella.

24. john999uk

john999uk Regular EF Member

Are you an electrician or a cooker expert? If customer insists it goes on documentation then, as others have said, make it clear on docs why it's listed and what was tested. As an electrician I find it hard to believe you are qualified to certify a cooker is working correctly. Can you check oven temp etc? Maybe get customer to sign additional note so they are aware of your responsibility if that's allowed on a cert?
    Difficult balance between keeping customer happy and covering yourself.

25. DJ Ovengloves

DJ Ovengloves Regular EF Member

Maybe the customer has read about our friend Part-P and is worried that if it's not documented that a qualified sparky installed the blooming thing there would be insurance issues if it caused a fire (you know the stuff..."if you even change a light bulb in the kitchen the insurance will not pay out and will shoot your dog in the face")?

Why not ask the customer and if it's this issue perhaps write out a separate minor works certificate and annotate why the customer wants this and the limits of what the cert covers him for (i.e. "bugger all")?

26. jamsey

jamsey Active EF Member

i would test the circuit, fit the hob in the hole, connect it, show him it works and explain how to use it (just to make sure lol) the i would write on the invoice that the cooker circuit supplying the hob is fine adn the hob worked when installed... end of, i really wouldnt advise putting anything on the test sheet if he rents out the property and the tenant damages the hob or it fails for any reason it will come back to you...

27. MDJ

MDJ Guest

Sorry but I have tried to restrain myself with this thread, it is fuc*ing ridiculous end of, what the hell is going on here these days, annoyed and throwing toys out of pram here, huh and pants to the whole thing.

28. Guest55

Guest55 Guest

Ooh ! get you ! handbags at the ready lol
    nice little rant you've got going there.

;-)

• Like Like x 1
  29. Adam W

Adam W Electrician's Arms

Quite an old thread, but I would consider a hob to be an appliance (even though it hasn't got a plug on it, which is irrelevant anyway) so wouldn't feature on an EIC. You can do a functional test by all means, which is what I took the expression "fire up" to mean, otherwise you'd be looking at a PAT test (although if the hob were brand new it would be covered by a full warranty), which again wouldn't feature on the EIC.
    I would say the best place for mentioning these things is on the invoice.

30. FAA Greenie

FAA Greenie Trusted Advisor

Better to cover all the bases buddy. Put an extra sheet in the cert because there is a lot to do.... Kettle, Tv, Microwave, Fridge, Towel rail, PS3, Sky box, The nice light in the hallway, Lava lamp, oh i give up now.......

31. nadger

nadger Regular EF Member

Six simple words on all my certs where cooker and hob circuits are concerned...

TESTED TO POINT OF SUPPLY ONLY

32. Guest55

Guest55 Guest

nice !
    maybe TESTED TO POINT OF CONNECTION ONLY would be slightly more accurate as everything is tested from the supply.
    ;-)

• Like Like x 4
  33. Parker27

Parker27 Regular EF Member

The Customer won't see this from the certificate point of view, all he will see is his hobs not working.

If you don't attend, you will probably not be doing any future electrical work for him, bite the bullet go back and check that the hob is safe to use, prove to him that it works - job done

34. Geoffsd

Geoffsd Guest

I agree this is silly but customer's are like that.

Could it be because there is a 'cooker circuit' but not a 'hob' one on the cert.?