Discuss Customer is asking for hob to be fired up and put on the cert? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Like to see what happens if 7 months down the line the unit breaks down and you get the call ........your hob you certified, one of the plates are not working and is under warranty

Why should you as a contractor sit on the phone and the conversation goes as follows

....."yes I did put that is was working on my cert but I don't take responsibility for warranty of the unit etc etc"

"......But your certificate and terms and conditions cover warranty on the installation, so why not the hob"

"...........Yes but that is true, but ................"

Make sure if you put something about the hob on a cert, you also put that warranty is covered by the manufacturer and get them to sign off on it

Like to see what happens if 7 months down the line the unit breaks down and you get the call ........your hob you certified, one of the plates are not working and is under warranty

Why should you as a contractor sit on the phone and the conversation goes as follows

....."yes I did put that is was working on my cert but I don't take responsibility for warranty of the unit etc etc"

"......But your certificate and terms and conditions cover warranty on the installation, so why not the hob"

"...........Yes but that is true, but ................"

Make sure if you put something about the hob on a cert, you also put that warranty is covered by the manufacturer and get them to sign off on it

Malc is exactly right , recording details of appliances on a cert is asking for trouble down the line.
ownership and warrantee issues are decided by possession of receipts and invoices - not an EIC , which is why no certificate approved by bs7671 asks you to record who supplied what.
quite simply , youre making a rod for your own back by agreeing to the customers demands.

Extent of the installation for this certificate "Full rewire . . . . . connect hob and oven . . . . ." Like the others have said, if it speeds up payment, put it on the cert even if it's not the usual thing you'd do.

Nope still wouldn't do it steve, sorry I'm stead fast on this one fella.

Are you an electrician or a cooker expert? If customer insists it goes on documentation then, as others have said, make it clear on docs why it's listed and what was tested. As an electrician I find it hard to believe you are qualified to certify a cooker is working correctly. Can you check oven temp etc? Maybe get customer to sign additional note so they are aware of your responsibility if that's allowed on a cert?
Difficult balance between keeping customer happy and covering yourself.

Maybe the customer has read about our friend Part-P and is worried that if it's not documented that a qualified sparky installed the blooming thing there would be insurance issues if it caused a fire (you know the stuff..."if you even change a light bulb in the kitchen the insurance will not pay out and will shoot your dog in the face")?

Why not ask the customer and if it's this issue perhaps write out a separate minor works certificate and annotate why the customer wants this and the limits of what the cert covers him for (i.e. "bugger all")?

i would test the circuit, fit the hob in the hole, connect it, show him it works and explain how to use it (just to make sure lol) the i would write on the invoice that the cooker circuit supplying the hob is fine adn the hob worked when installed... end of, i really wouldnt advise putting anything on the test sheet if he rents out the property and the tenant damages the hob or it fails for any reason it will come back to you...

Sorry but I have tried to restrain myself with this thread, it is fuc*ing ridiculous end of, what the hell is going on here these days, annoyed and throwing toys out of pram here, huh and pants to the whole thing.

Sorry but I have tried to restrain myself with this thread, it is fuc*ing ridiculous end of, what the hell is going on here these days, annoyed and throwing toys out of pram here, huh and pants to the whole thing.

Ooh ! get you ! handbags at the ready lol
nice little rant you've got going there.

;-)

Quite an old thread, but I would consider a hob to be an appliance (even though it hasn't got a plug on it, which is irrelevant anyway) so wouldn't feature on an EIC. You can do a functional test by all means, which is what I took the expression "fire up" to mean, otherwise you'd be looking at a PAT test (although if the hob were brand new it would be covered by a full warranty), which again wouldn't feature on the EIC.
I would say the best place for mentioning these things is on the invoice.

Better to cover all the bases buddy. Put an extra sheet in the cert because there is a lot to do.... Kettle, Tv, Microwave, Fridge, Towel rail, PS3, Sky box, The nice light in the hallway, Lava lamp, oh i give up now.......

The Customer won't see this from the certificate point of view, all he will see is his hobs not working.

If you don't attend, you will probably not be doing any future electrical work for him, bite the bullet go back and check that the hob is safe to use, prove to him that it works - job done

I agree this is silly but customer's are like that.

Could it be because there is a 'cooker circuit' but not a 'hob' one on the cert.?

Reply to Customer is asking for hob to be fired up and put on the cert? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net