Discuss Customer Payment. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

Having problems receiving money from a client. They are either ignorant, arrogant or both. I put my invoice in a week last Friday.

We are small business and rely on fast payments to cover wages costs and material costs. However I have still not received any form of payment. This was a private installation not a business to business.

Not sure what the next move is. I know they get 30days to pay up but I feel as though they are the holding money back for no reason. It's £4000, so hardly something we can let go.

Hang on have you phoned them, or just sent a email?

I have spoken to them face to face and via telephone. On both occasions they said they would transfer the money over. Never had this problem before and the worst of all they seem to be a genuine couple.

the email was a formal way to ask for the money so that I had record of it.

Send a copy of your email by recorded delivery so the you have proof they have received it.

Then if still no response send a final demand after the 30 days again via recorded delivery.

If still no payment then as uksparks said go to the small claims court.

Why do you say they have 30 days? If that's what your terms and conditions say then you'll have to wait for 30 days. If you don't specify 30 days on your terms, what does it say regarding payment?

The terms of payment are YOUR terms, so if you specify 7 days and they agree, its 7 days. I always say payment within 7 days. No way am I waiting 30 days for the money, if they cant afford it when they want it doing, they wont be able to afford it in 30 days.

In which case send a final demand giving them seven working days to pay. If they don't pay, use the money claim service as UK sparks posted.

The terms of payment are YOUR terms, so if you specify 7 days and they agree, its 7 days. I always say payment within 7 days. No way am I waiting 30 days for the money, if they cant afford it when they want it doing, they wont be able to afford it in 30 days.

Er no, your terms can say what they want, but customers will pay when they want. And don't try taking legal action too soon or you will lose!

Having problems receiving money from a client. They are either ignorant, arrogant or both. I put my invoice in a week last Friday.

We are small business and rely on fast payments to cover wages costs and material costs. However I have still not received any form of payment. This was a private installation not a business to business.

Not sure what the next move is. I know they get 30days to pay up but I feel as though they are the holding money back for no reason. It's £4000, so hardly something we can let go.

Did you make your "client" (I hate that word - it's what solicitors and prostitutes have) aware of your terms of business BEFORE the work started, or did you just spring the fact that you expect to be paid on the day of completion on them??

Er no, your terms can say what they want, but customers will pay when they want. And don't try taking legal action too soon or you will lose!

Sorry, but that's nonsense. Terms and conditions along with the quote form a contract. Failure on the part of either side to comply with the contents is a breach of contract. Breach of contract is actionable in law.

So if you put seven days and they don't pay then you are required to send a letter informing them that they are in breach and giving them an additional period, a further seven days for example. The letter should also state that if they fail to pay within the specified extension legal action will be taken. Fill out the details online and away you go.

Pay when they want my 4rse. The day I can go into a supermarket and pay at some unspecified point in the future is the day I'll let my payment terms slide. Which by the way are payment on completion. Don't like the terms? Use some other mug.

Reply to Customer Payment. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net