Discuss Customer Question: Two gang switch for light & fan? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have been giving a pursue of the approved document F, as opposed to the Planning Portal statement, always ready to correct myself.

Firstly it does state that extraction to the outside is required for kitchens, bathrooms, utility rooms & sanity accommodation (5.5), simples.

As to the control of said ventilation, it slightly less clear (for me). For a room without opening window, an intermittent extraction should have a fifteen minutes overrun. In rooms with no natural light, the fans should be controlled by the operation of the main room light switch (Table 5.2A) (not a direct quote, but all I can be arsed to type).
It says could be and not must be
Dam thing won’t let me upload a picture

I believe so
I’d have thought if it was a must then it would’ve be worded as such.
To me it’s just giving an opinion if you wanted to do it this way.

As I said before the DCLG are responsible for these badly worded documents ....

So back to the OP .............my post #2 was correct.

If the sparky won't change it, (you may have to pay) then get somebody else in afterwards ........................ BUT depending on how its been wired, the changes may be messy.

In simple words "if you want it you can have it"

I would definatly say its fine i have dobe it a few times as it is ob the spec for the new install and it have never been pulled by any one. Tell your spark you want it if not get another electrician to do it.

Why the dumb Adam? I did say it was possibly correct and that I had never used one, quite what's dumb about that reply is a dumb response on your part, but hey ho we are all allowed to respond how we feel however dumb it may be to the dumb person responding with a dumb reply.
Oh no! not another one, this post should make it 3 in a row from Adam:tongue::handfist:

Part F says that in a room without an opening window, an intermittent fan should have a 15 minute overrun. It mentions that in rooms with no natural light, if MAY be appropriate for the fan to be controlled by the operation of the main light in the room.

To the OP: you can have your fan on a separate switch, but if the room doesn't have an opening window, your fan should be a timer model that is set to run on for 15 minutes after you have turned the fan off.

Oh no! not another one, this post should make it 3 in a row from Adam:tongue::handfist:
Well Pete since you're so keen to know, if you're going to suggest a solution you could at least stand by your suggestion and offer an explanation instead of rolling over and admitting it was just an ill-informed guess.

The second post which I rated as 'dumb' was where you made the effort to write out a post calling me 'dumb' for using a button provided by the forum. Ordinarily I'd turn a blind eye to things like that but you don't seem afraid to rate posts negatively - you reap what you sow.

I'll let you off miscounting the number of negative ratings I've given you since it's after 5pm so you're probably on your second bottle of wine of the evening (or is it your third?)

Well Pete since you're so keen to know, if you're going to suggest a solution you could at least stand by your suggestion and offer an explanation instead of rolling over and admitting it was just an ill-informed guess.

The second post which I rated as 'dumb' was where you made the effort to write out a post calling me 'dumb' for using a button provided by the forum. Ordinarily I'd turn a blind eye to things like that but you don't seem afraid to rate posts negatively - you reap what you sow.

I'll let you off miscounting the number of negative ratings I've given you since it's after 5pm so you're probably on your second bottle of wine of the evening (or is it your third?)

Well that's the end of that then.

I do dislike some of these buttons, specifically the negative ones. Not much more to say if you agree etc with someone, but if you disagree much better to reason your point, rather than just clicking a button. In my view.

As for your last paragraph; a rather puerile remark, that made your post unpleasant. Of course, I could of just clicked dumb. ;)

FWIW, at this late stage in the thread, in bath or shower rooms with no opening window (or natural light) I have taken to installing two lights, one “main” one that switches worth the fan that then has an over-run timer for the obligatory quarter hour and another secondary light. This might take the form of an illuminated mirror or shaver light or similar,and may or may not have a switch on the plate outside the door. It all depends on what the paying customer wants.

Use a fan with an integral pull-switch. Most bathroom visits don't need the fan, so you just switch the light on. If you need the fan, pull the switch. The isolator cna be kept for isolation purposes and no rewiring is needed.

FWIW, at this late stage in the thread, in bath or shower rooms with no opening window (or natural light) I have taken to installing two lights, one “main” one that switches worth the fan that then has an over-run timer for the obligatory quarter hour and another secondary light. This might take the form of an illuminated mirror or shaver light or similar,and may or may not have a switch on the plate outside the door. It all depends on what the paying customer wants.

Thats OK on existing properties, but not compliant with new builds and extensions with BCO involved IMHO

Reply to Customer Question: Two gang switch for light & fan? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net