Discuss Customer thinks I’m ripping him off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

isk57

-
Reaction score
Hi people
I’ve recently given a customer a quote for a board change on a 1970 property which needs 2 x 6way boards “small space “
And installing a 40mtr supply to the bottom of a garden for a hot tub which has to be clipped half way and underground for 10mtrs
So it’s 2 days Labour and materials
835 pound he’s moaned and said it’s far to expensive I think I’m about right , thoughts please

Hi people
I’ve recently given a customer a quote for a board change on a 1970 property which needs 2 x 6way boards “small space “
And installing a 40mtr supply to the bottom of a garden for a hot tub which has to be clipped half way and underground for 10mtrs
So it’s 2 days Labour and materials
835 pound he’s moaned and said it’s far to expensive I think I’m about right , thoughts please

You are far Too cheap...

Here would be my own break down of rates,
£45 per hour labour x 16 = £720
Materials very rough gestimate £300 ish

So my quote/estimate would come out about a grand

Take it or leave it

I think it sounds about right. Digging always seems to take longer and be harder than I estimate in quotes, so maybe encourage the chap to do it himself?

This^^

When you are digging , moving stuff like furniture , clearing space in lofts or in broom cupboards for access etc then time just seems to disappear and what should take about half a day job quickly becomes a full days work.

Customers just don't appreciate the amount of time wasted when they have lofts full for carp we have to shove out the way just to run in a couple cables. Which in a clear empty loft would take minutes.

Sometimes we are just very expensive labourers

Nail well and truly struck

Just think on say a re-wire how much actual 'wiring' a sparks actually does. Its probably less than 50% of actual time on site.

The other 50% is spent moving crap , pulling carpets , chopping walls and playing mr removals in the loft.
But if joe bloggs wants to pay us £150 to re-arrange their attic then so be it

I agree with most of the above. The price sounds spot on.

I have just put my prices up and at long last I am losing some quotes rather than getting them all, so I'd say I'm about right.
You have to lose some quotes otherwise it means you are too cheap.

You could charge £25 p/hour and get 50 hours of work p/week accepted = £1250 or £35 p/hour and get 40 hours p/week accepted = £1400. This is obviously a clumsy example, but you get the drift. You just have to find the right balance between price and amount of work received.

Ps... a plumber I know charges £50 p/hour. His aim is to do 2-3 hours per day (as he is lazy) and he gets it, but rarely gets more.
I only used him once!

You’re priceing seems about right to me, has he waived another quote at you to show other people cheaper?

I agree with most of the above. The price sounds spot on.

I have just put my prices up and at long last I am losing some quotes rather than getting them all, so I'd say I'm about right.
You have to lose some quotes otherwise it means you are too cheap.

You could charge £25 p/hour and get 50 hours of work p/week accepted = £1250 or £35 p/hour and get 40 hours p/week accepted = £1400. This is obviously a clumsy example, but you get the drift. You just have to find the right balance between price and amount of work received.

Ps... a plumber I know charges £50 p/hour. His aim is to do 2-3 hours per day (as he is lazy) and he gets it, but rarely gets more.
I only used him once!

The plumber my parents use in a very old friend or a friend. He is £85 per hour call out small jobs

They like him , trust him and are happy to pay him

He is semi retired an only works on a Monday and Tuesday

Nail well and truly struck

Just think on say a re-wire how much actual 'wiring' a sparks actually does. Its probably less than 50% of actual time on site.

The other 50% is spent moving crap , pulling carpets , chopping walls and playing mr removals in the loft.
But if joe bloggs wants to pay us £150 to re-arrange their attic then so be it
I did a rewire once where me and another spark had to literallt move junk and furniture from one room to another and down stairs then move it from the other then move it from downstairs....more time spent moving stuff than actual wiring

Reply to Customer thinks I’m ripping him off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock