Discuss Customers from hell. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

pritch

-
Reaction score
I wired an extension for some very posh customers recently.I put the first fix in which included loads of spots throughout the house.I left all the cables for the spots above the plaster board ceiling and made a drawing telling me where to drill my holes. After i finnised i took less than half for the job leaving me with most of the money for the second fix. I brought all of the spots and sockets ready for 2nd fix then i got a call telling me they have found another electrician who will 2nd fix it for a cheaper price(not surprising because still money on from 1st fix).I told them this is very unfair because i still have money left in the job and I bought the 2nd fix gear,"oh well" they said
Dont know if any one's spotted it yet but I held the trump card. I had all the positions for the spot lights on a drawing and it would be impossible for them to find the cables because there was no access above the ceiling upstairs and would mean getting up the new laid floor for downstairs spots.
After a few days the customer called me up and asked me for the drawings and that they were his property,I told him to get his new sparky to find the cables. After about a week I recieved a complaint from the customer via the NICEIC and in the end I had to send him the drawings back.:( You live and learn I guess.

And what about tests? Why are the nic not taking your side on this with regard to tester doing the whole install or being there at key stages to see work? Is this new spark going to do an eic for this install?

I know they are there to mediate but we are paying them to assist us too!

Sorry you lost out on this one.

you should have made them pay for the drawings. you could have said the time wasnt paid for when you did them, sure they would have paid up. dont worry about the NICEIC i am a member and they would have been backing you. i would have said i shredded them when the job was given to another electrician, what could they have said or done. you had the upper hand and let them win, customers like that make me mad, anyway lesson learnt i guess allways be happy to walk away if they get another to finish job you have started. what about cert was it a notifiable job you could drop them in it with building control????????

Humans.

We have been bi-pedal for about 3 million years.

This type of tale disgusts me.

Humans.

I think we are getting worse.

Money has only been used in Britain for around 2000 years.

Look at the state of it.

Awful.

ive got a pig if youve got a goat.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would have sent the drawings in as a good gesture. after all its only a few hours and your money.

oh forgot to ad hell would have had to have frozen over first!

not a chance they would have gotten any drawings off me without payment for goods or my time.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the 2nd sparky is going to sign off for the job? How does he know that the 1st sparky has done a correct job with the cables he can't see.

Madness on the part of the customer. You're probably better off without this customer.

No way would they have got my drawings, unless they paid up for them which would have covered what I had lost. Very surprised at the nic stance as this customer has no right to your design information if they are getting someone ele to finish the job off.

Humans.

We have been bi-pedal for about 3 million years.

This type of tale disgusts me.

Humans.

I think we are getting worse.

Money has only been used in Britain for around 2000 years.

Look at the state of it.

Awful.

ive got a pig if youve got a goat.

SMB, I'm getting really worried about you!!!! Were you a Space Cadet in a previous life mate? LOL

You took your TIME to draw up plans and your time is valuable NICEIC should be more interested in the fact that another spark is finishing your notifiable work they could SWING for the drawings if it were me

I would have said I'd lost them/destroyed them/thought the new sparky was going to do his own drawings/they might have been in the box with all the other stuff I bought for the job which went back to the wholesalers etc.

If the doodie hit the fan I'd have sent them back after postage was paid for, within 28 days so it holds the job up a bit, if only out of sour grapes - screw me over and I'll screw you over, that kind of thing.
I'd have told the NIC the same - I'll find them but tbh it's not my number 1 priority.

that is awful, but you should have said the drawings were thrown away. Shame on the other electrician for taking your job off you too.

I would have refused saying that I'm not a qualified draftsman and therefore not covered under my liability insurance to supply any third party with any types of drawings or sketches....end of story.

People in general just **** me off more and more the older I get.

Last edited:

Reply to Customers from hell. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net