Discuss Cut out questions? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello all..

I have 2 questions about the picture below.

I carried out an EICR and you can see that part of the cover is missing near where the CPC enters the cut out enclosure. I realise that this is not in my remit to code, is it simply a matter of informing the DNO?

Also, usually I see a separate line and neutral coming from the cut out to the meter. Here there is just a single cable which goes from the cutout into the WARNING box attached to the meter. Would this mean that the cable has 2 cores inside it or would a metal sheath be being used as the neutral? I cant see how that small warning box could accommodate a gland for a metal sheath so perhaps 2 core?

Cheers :)

View attachment 35897

the thicker black cable going into the meter is L and N. possibly concentric. the thinner one feeds the trilliant box, whatever that is for. something to do with smart metering?

I don't know whether that piece is missing or whether it's designed like that to allow access to the earthing terminal. Wish all cut outs were like that to be honest, would make upgrading bonding easier.

As for the single cable, like @telectrix I suspect it's a small concentric cable. Makes it easier for the DNO engineer, less likely to get a polarity problem I guess. They are pretty common in this part of the world, depending on the age of the property.

The trilliant box is the coms engine for the smart meter. That will also be talking to the gas meter and the in-home monitor if present.

The part missing is normal, and is often left open. Some cutouts have points for the DNO to drill out to access the terminal screws. Many older cutouts that are provided with an earth terminal have it completely exposed. No code needed. The cable will be concentric as above, and often has only a small CSA anyway, It is common to see 10mm2 concentric feeding small properties. The concentric construction of the cable means the overall diameter is very compact. The box is just to block access to the un metered connections so you can't shove knitting needles etc. into the holes.
My (filthy!) cutout at home also has the opening uncovered, as the electrician installing the wiring would need access to connect the main earth conductor, as the energy suppliers fitted the meters and isolators before the houses were ready to connect to the supply.

View attachment 35900

As for the single cable, like @telectrix I suspect it's a small concentric cable. Makes it easier for the DNO engineer, less likely to get a polarity problem I guess. They are pretty common in this part of the world, depending on the age of the property.

The cable will be concentric as above... The box is just to block access to the un metered connections so you can't shove knitting needles etc. into the holes.

Yes, concentric. The construction of the cable, along with the blocks at each end, makes it much more difficult to tap into the line conductor before it reaches the meter with a view to stealing electricity. Also makes it more obvious to a meter reader if it's attempted. You can't, for example, just drive a screw into the cable like you could with a single core, as it'll just short line to neutral.

Yes, concentric. The construction of the cable, along with the blocks at each end, makes it much more difficult to tap into the line conductor before it reaches the meter with a view to stealing electricity. Also makes it more obvious to a meter reader if it's attempted. You can't, for example, just drive a screw into the cable like you could with a single core, as it'll just short line to neutral.
Good bit of info there Handy, never thought of that before - makes a lot of sense.

Reply to Cut out questions? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net