Discuss cutting tongue and groove chipboard flooring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

Kev2632

Hello folks,

I was wondering if i could get some tips from you all for cutting up tongue and groove chipboard flooring,Because today when the joiner took up a section off the floor there was pipes very very close to the tops of the joists and right underneath the flooring..

Whats the best way to cut out sections etc and what tools would you use?

I use a large hole saw around 117mm if your worried about pipes drill through till the hole saw goes in about 2mm them take the pilot out the centre then carry on til your nearly through but not quite and push it till it goes through
Do this about 2inches from the side of each joist all the way through your Run then use a long 400mm spade wood bit to drill holes through the joists( don't forget to check the other side of the joist with your arm for cables/ pipes) then when your done wiring cut some foot long lengths of 2x1 wood battens and brace each hole then screw the cut outs back in place, just make sure you use a nice sharp hole saw and a decent drill!

Armeg, and several others, make solid board access cutters. Same idea as welchyboy only they cut a rebate into the chipboard and you can buy plastic covers to stick back into the hole, much quicker and more professional IMO.

I use a large hole saw around 117mm if your worried about pipes drill through till the hole saw goes in about 2mm them take the pilot out the centre then carry on til your nearly through but not quite and push it till it goes through
Do this about 2inches from the side of each joist all the way through your Run then use a long 400mm spade wood bit to drill holes through the joists( don't forget to check the other side of the joist with your arm for cables/ pipes) then when your done wiring cut some foot long lengths of 2x1 wood battens and brace each hole then screw the cut outs back in place, just make sure you use a nice sharp hole saw and a decent drill!

THATS THE WAY! (or circ saw).

Or if you've got money to burn the armeg rip off device.

is it best to set the depth of the circular saw to just below the depth of the floor, so you dont cut to deep into any pipes or cables, and would you need to cut alone the tongue or groove at all??

You want one of these:[h=1]QUADFORCE 115 COUNTER ROTATING CIRCULAR SAw[/h]It will rip through anything !
But you'll need to set the depth otherwise everything along its path will get chewed up

Got one of these :-http://www.******************/Main_Index/Tools_Index/Cavity_Access/index.html Works really well.

Well that didn't work! Google Cavity Master

Last edited:
Cavity master looks good but expensive - £15 for 5 hole covers. I would recommend a circular saw set to almost the depth of the floor then finish off the cut with a hand saw

I know the kit is expensive and the discs are dear but i have probably used 15 discs in 2 years and every time it has save hours of work. Also you don't have to worry about fixing the chip board when using a circular saw. Don't get me wrong if i have a long run i will still use a circular saw.

I like the board cutters and plugs, quic and easy.

Only problem I've had was the other week, stuck my arm through the hole to grab a cable I had fed down behind the skirting, there was a bunch of other cables down there and as I felt around I found one that the rats had had a munch on, line and neutral completely stripped! Nearly ripped my arm off as I pulled it out of the hole. Another life gone!:D

armeg ones are quicker to cut, and quicker to repair, so pay for themselves, and if only doing one hole the time saved can be significant. But the cable rod company( can't think of the name), do one but the cutter depth is much deeper than standard floor sheeting, I mentioned that to the rep, he said they would look into it, I thought if I used one I'd be looking in to the hole to see what pipes and cables I had to repair lol
Long runs a decent circular saw is better, but if you don't have one there's a considerable cost to factor in, and if your like me and only use battery powered tools, then there's mega bucks involved.

horses for courses springs to mind

- - - Updated - - -

armeg ones are quicker to cut, and quicker to repair, so pay for themselves, and if only doing one hole the time saved can be significant. But the cable rod company( can't think of the name), do one but the cutter depth is much deeper than standard floor sheeting, I mentioned that to the rep, he said they would look into it, I thought if I used one I'd be looking in to the hole to see what pipes and cables I had to repair lol
Long runs a decent circular saw is better, but if you don't have one there's a considerable cost to factor in, and if your like me and only use battery powered tools, then there's mega bucks involved.

horses for courses springs to mind

if customer is a DIY enthusiast, i get him to cut the floor. then any damage is down to him, not me. hehe.

i been doing with my clarke mains powered multicutter.
one 8 quid blade lasted for 4 bedroom rewire :)

I burned my fein out doing that! Lol

shes a brilliant tool when used sparingly but used like that she dont like

i think its a mix of disc cutter and circ saw depending on the job and amount/size of cabling to be done

Reply to cutting tongue and groove chipboard flooring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock