Discuss Czech guys would like to become an electricians in England in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Greetings gentlemen,

I am 25 and i am finishing my Masters degree in June. After that, i would like to go to England with my ex-schoolmate from high school to work as an electricians to learn english, practice, meet a british culture, earn some money and maybe start a new life. Informations about us are below:

Me:
Practical experiences: None (but extensive theoretical knowledge)
Education: Masters degree in Power electrical engineering in Brno University of Technology in Czech republic.
English qualifications: None
Language level: Average (but communicative)

My friend:
Practical experiences: 3 years, pretty experienced in wide range of electrical areas
Education: High school diploma in Power electrical engineering
English qualifications: None
Language level: Average (but communicative)

Goals: to become an electricians in renewable energy. We will take every job what appears at the start.
Place we want to live in England: We go where the job is

Questions:
1. How to start?
2. How hard it is to become an electrician with theese conditions mentioned above. How long does it take to reach average electrician wage?
3. Do i have any advantages as a owner of Masters diploma in getting qualifications?
4. Can anybody explain me how all of it works, like those NVQs Levels 2-3? System in UK is a little bit confusing. What do we need to do according to informations about us i mentioned above?

Thank you gentlemen for your responses. They will be very appreciated :)

thwe qualifications you need are c&g 2365 level 3, followed by NVQ3 and AM2. c&g 2391 test/inspection) is also recommended. then you need a JIB gold card.
the above are necessary for employment with a company. if you want to be self-employed, it's a different ball-game.

Hi Tomas, sounds like a good plan. Why particularly England? Why not America or France or Germany. Germany treat electricians like professors. Anyway to answer your question(s) A Masters degree would not address the industry requirements in Britain. Look at this link to find out how to enter the industry, read carefully!
Morris Services - Getting Started - http://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp

Hi Tomas, sounds like a good plan. Why particularly England? Why not America or France or Germany. Germany treat electricians like professors. Anyway to answer your question(s) A Masters degree would not address the industry requirements in Britain. Look at this link to find out how to enter the industry, read carefully!
Morris Services - Getting Started - http://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp

First of all .. thank you for reply. I decided for England because there is english of course. I dont speak german and there is no or little chance for me to get to America or Australia due to their immigration policy.

Well, i have found many this kind of informations. I've read a lot about this. Everything i've read said that i need to accomplish 4 years long apprenticeship which is school + practice to get quilfied and that is the absolute basic at the start. But what can we do, if both of us already graduated (in electrical power engineering)? We can not afford to spend 4 years in doing apprenticeship where they pay absolute minimum wage or less.
I would really appreciate you to post informations here, something like step by step guide to get qualified. We also have limited financial resources, like 6000£.

Thanks.

If they speak English then its easier to come to the UK, to get to America to work is a pain, with a power electrical engineering degree and a masters I'd be looking at work further up the ladder.

If they speak English then its easier to come to the UK, to get to America to work is a pain, with a power electrical engineering degree and a masters I'd be looking at work further up the ladder.

it's in the schedule. I need to improve my english and meet UK electricity system before that :)

First of all .. thank you for reply. I decided for England because there is english of course. I dont speak german and there is no or little chance for me to get to America or Australia due to their immigration policy.

Well, i have found many this kind of informations. I've read a lot about this. Everything i've read said that i need to accomplish 4 years long apprenticeship which is school + practice to get quilfied and that is the absolute basic at the start. But what can we do, if both of us already graduated (in electrical power engineering)? We can not afford to spend 4 years in doing apprenticeship where they pay absolute minimum wage or less.
I would really appreciate you to post informations here, something like step by step guide to get qualified. We also have limited financial resources, like 6000£.
yeah , soft touch England. not France then ,you better hurry up before the draw bridge is pulled up .

Everything i've read said that i need to accomplish 4 years long apprenticeship which is school + practice to get quilfied and that is the absolute basic at the start. But what can we do, if both of us already graduated (in electrical power engineering)? We can not afford to spend 4 years in doing apprenticeship where they pay absolute minimum wage or less.

Thanks.

nobody? :(

I am not sure if your degree has any transferable aspects into the UK system. Have a look at the 'working overseas' section of this forum and perhaps post there, as someone may have a better idea. Maybe email City & Guilds; these are the primary education providers for many electrical qualifications in this country.

Good luck Tomás

EDIT: the forum section is 'non UK electrical works'

get an apprenticeship, with your qualifications i would imagine you would have a good chance with most companies, call up all the companies you want to work for till you find one willing to take you on

I would really appreciate you to post informations
Tomas it is fine to ask questions but if you don't read and or follow up with the advice given then it is useless to ask. Re-read post #3 you will see a link in it. You want a step by step guide?...that is it, the step by step guide. If you do not understand it....

Surely you'd be better off looking for a job as an electrical engineer not as an electrician. Electrical theory is the same the world over, I doubt it would take long for you to get to grips with how things are done in the UK, and a lot of products are the same all over the world when you look at distribution and control systems.
It seems a complete waste to me to have a master's degree and then spend three or 4 years training to be an electrician, when you should be looking at how to become a chartered engineer. If I was you I would concentrate on trying to improve my understanding of English particularly with regards to the technical terms required.

...But what can we do, if both of us already graduated (in electrical power engineering)? We can not afford to spend 4 years in doing apprenticeship ...
Hi Tomas - my advice is to get a design engineer job working in the power industry. To illustrate - an engineer with a masters degree perhaps could design a new surge protection device for high voltage switchgear, but for sure they would not want to be the one to fit it in the power station. That work has its own high level of assumed knowledge and experience, which the apprenticeship is just the start.

I would like to get the master degree would get you a higher job somewhere, but if you want to be an electrician it won't be any help to you. You'l have to do the 4 years like everyone else to be qualified properly and sadly the wages aren't good starting off. If I had a masters degree I don't think I'd continue being an electrician to be quite honest

Tomas, I wouldn't bother mate. The healthcare system is crumbling, the welfare system is on its knees, the likes of Carillion and other large construction companies are going down the pan. England has just about been milked dry hence why the drawer bridge is being pulled up and we voted for Brexit. I think the party is probably about over now and the hangover is kicking in.

Reply to Czech guys would like to become an electricians in England in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock