Discuss D.I.Y. REWIRE-- A Step By Step Guide. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
1. Remove all heavy furniture from upstairs. Place in Storage.

2. Roll up all upstairs carpets. Ditto.

3. Lift floorboards to enable cable routing (not the ones that the plumber has wrecked, fitting central heating)

4. Move all downstairs furniture to centre of rooms and cover with dust sheets.

5. Cover all ground floor carpets with polythene sheeting.

6. Chase out from ground floor ceiling vertically to every point you require a fitting/accessory.

7. Now that you've realised that you are totally out of your depth, get on the phone to a qualified Sparks.

1. Remove all heavy furniture from upstairs. Place in Storage.

2. Roll up all upstairs carpets. Ditto.

3. Lift floorboards to enable cable routing (not the ones that the plumber has wrecked, fitting central heating)

4. Move all downstairs furniture to centre of rooms and cover with dust sheets.

5. Cover all ground floor carpets with polythene sheeting.

6. Chase out from ground floor ceiling vertically to every point you require a fitting/accessory.

7. Now that you've realised that you are totally out of your depth, get on the phone to a qualified Sparks.[/QUOTE]

That was gonna be the extent of my contribution...

I somehow thought this wasn't going to be a 'helpful' thread...

Whilst I accept there are a lot of botched and potentially dangerous DIY jobs around there are also people perfectly capable of rewiring safely and legally in compliance with the relevant regulations.

As some of those reading this will know I have recently started a DIY rewire of my own, this is being done in compliance with relevant regulations and I really appreciate the advice and assistance offered by forum members, here and elsewhere both in the public forum and outwith it.

The attitude that no-one other than an electrician is capable of rewiring a house, installing a new circuit, adding an outlet to an existing ring final circuit, changing a light fitting etc is not helpful. DIYers coming here and asking questions are doing one thing right for starters - they accept they *don't* know exactly what to do and for that reason are asking advice.

My view is that you can dismiss these people with 'call an electrician' and, in many cases, they'll try and undertake the work themselves anyway.. or you can offer guidance and advice.

Teach a man to fish and all that...

All the members on here will offer advice and help if asked and thats what makes this forum as good as it is but if people want to go it alone without any background knowledge.....then its entirely up to them but most work is notifyable now which means either a part p competent person or buildings control.........Its when you come to sell a property that all the certs kick in.....

All the members on here will offer advice and help if asked and thats what makes this forum as good as it is
Not all sadly... but to those who do, it is really appreciated :)
but most work is notifyable now which means either a part p competent person or buildings control.........Its when you come to sell a property that all the certs kick in.....
Some of us live north of the border ;)

The problem with diy rewiring, where no formal training has been undertaken,is that even though it may work,"working" and "working where there is no danger" of fire or injury, is on the whole, way out of range for the diyer to assertain

Installation can be carried out,but testing, and verifying the results of that testing, to ensure safe dis connection times by calculation and reference requires underpinning knowlege to interprit those results,it is not a diy capability

Even if you are rewiring your own installation, and even though you are doing it by the book,unless a trained electrician. capable of understanding and carrying out the testing. is used to confirm those results,your installation and those of all diyers are potential death traps until those results are verified as adequate

The problem with diy electrical work is not the complexity of the installing,but the in ability to understand the dangers of what may have been installed
Underestimating that lack of understanding could cause the death of the diyer or someone unfortunate to come into contact with their efforts
That can't be said of painting and decorating or laying some tiles,there lies the reason that "get an electrician in" is oft used on a forum where that danger is very evident

Whilst I accept there are a lot of botched and potentially dangerous DIY jobs around there are also people perfectly capable of rewiring safely and legally in compliance with the relevant regulations.

As some of those reading this will know I have recently started a DIY rewire of my own, this is being done in compliance with relevant regulations and I really appreciate the advice and assistance offered by forum members, here and elsewhere both in the public forum and outwith it.

The attitude that no-one other than an electrician is capable of rewiring a house, installing a new circuit, adding an outlet to an existing ring final circuit, changing a light fitting etc is not helpful. DIYers coming here and asking questions are doing one thing right for starters - they accept they *don't* know exactly what to do and for that reason are asking advice.

My view is that you can dismiss these people with 'call an electrician' and, in many cases, they'll try and undertake the work themselves anyway.. or you can offer guidance and advice.

Look mate, sorry to burst your bubble but 99% of DIY sparkies ain't got a scoobie what they're doing. Its as simple as that. Sure they may be able to follow a nice wiring diagram but they won't have a clue when it comes to testing, safe zones for a bathroom, cable calcs etc etc. So whilst you may be able to convince your missus that you are saving a few quid - you are mugging yourself off at the same time. If DIY electrics was such an easy thing then it wouldn't be banned in most countries. However enjoy your DIY electrics whilst you can, because it will be banned here soon as well. Part P - Do you know what this is by the way? Is the first step to stopping Mr DIYer.
Sorry mate, but amateur electrics kill.

Last edited by a moderator:

my post was not meant as a dig at anybody competent, as you appear to be, doing their own work. but please note des's post#9. and i know the quote. " teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking lager all day"

Even if you are rewiring your own installation, and even though you are doing it by the book,unless a trained electrician. capable of understanding and carrying out the testing. is used to confirm those results,your installation and those of all diyers are potential death traps until those results are verified as adequate

I do appreciate the risks involved this is why, even as a DIYer, I've spent some time studying the regs alongside the ECA's "Guide to the Wiring Regulations" and conducting the relevant tests (and recording the results)

We're not all alike :)

Part P - Do you know what this is by the way? Is the first step to stopping Mr DIYer.

Yes, I know what Part P is. It doesn't apply in Scotland - we have different building regulations.

Sorry mate, but amateur electrics kill.

Not all amateur electrics kill, just like not all 'professional' installations are safe (opening a can of worms there but I speak from experience of something I saw in a commercial building which was supposedly done by a 'qualified' sparks)

I do appreciate the risks involved this is why, even as a DIYer, I've spent some time studying the regs alongside the ECA's "Guide to the Wiring Regulations" and conducting the relevant tests (and recording the results)

We're not all alike :)

My post was a general outline of why diy electrical installation should be dis couraged,it was and isn't aimed at any individual
You may well have been taught and understand testing and testing procedures,there are city and guilds qualifications to confirm that understanding as you know

Your own actions, commendable though they may be, are the very opposite of the vast majority of diyers doing electrical installations
They do not appreciate or understand the possible dangers, to enough of a degree, to be able to make the judgement that they are capable
That is why assessment of installation work as been required by the government for installers and diyers alike it can kill and cause fire

Anyway,diy aside
D.I.Y. REWIRE-- A Step By Step Guide. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I'm not going to comment on Tels posting of this thread for assistance with his efforts to understand how to do a rewire

If he wants to know, he should learn how to do it himself

Last edited:
Yes, I know what Part P is. It doesn't apply in Scotland - we have different building regulations.

Not all amateur electrics kill, just like not all 'professional' installations are safe (opening a can of worms there but I speak from experience of something I saw in a commercial building which was supposedly done by a 'qualified' sparks)

Well why don't you enlighten us as to what it is that you do for a living - and I'm sure that some of us could tell you how to do your job a lot better as well. Instead of watching all of these rogue trader like TV programmes, why don't you trust the 99% of decent tradesmen out there to do a proper job and not rip you off.

To be fair if you do'nt give any indication of your level of skill or knowledge do you really expect to get a favorable response. A lot of your calculations regarding cpd's will be influenced by the earthing arrangement to your property for a start. Do you know what this is? That is just the basics to start from, you really do'nt want a correspondence course rewire.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if mistakes in electrical installations didn't cost innocent people their lives. Installing electrics incorrectly can cause people to get shocked or houses to burn down and it's not just the life of the DIY'er that's at stake.

I agree 98% of electrical installation can be instructed via a forum board or even a telephone for that matter but there's always that 2% that can't and that's where the 4uck-up's occur. You can only reduce this risk with two things, you need to be there first hand and you need experience that only years of education and on-the-job learning can give you.

You might be convinced electricians are overpriced or unnecessary but after you've seen the results of building fires where whole families including the pets have died and were started by nothing more than bad-practice electrical installation techniques you would recognize your short sightedness.

........So the qualified members who frequent forums such as this walk a thin line between helping unqualified visitors out with information and suggestions to save them some time and money but also encouraging them not to go places or do things that might get them or other people killed. Nobody knows where the line is, it varies from DIY'er to DIY'er and from job to job but the one thing we do all know is when the line is crossed we are as responsible for any unexpected outcomes as the guy doing the work.

All I'm trying to say is that if or when you start getting replies that it's time to call a qualified electrician then it's probably just that.....it's time to call an electrician.

You can teach a man everything there is to know about fishing, it still doesn't mean he should be sailing a boat out to sea without a skippers license.

Like des says....most diyers wont understand the concept of Zs and why its so important and even if they had read it someware would they know about "rule of thumb" and which value to apply it to (measured or tabulated) also, would they concider rcd times or even the reason that cable clips have maximum spacing allowances etc? Or how about safe zones and adiquate protection for non rcd protected circuits or even not to run data or alarm cables in parrallel with final circuits. I am not saying that a diyer isn`t capable of installing but that the install may not be compliant.......

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if mistakes in electrical installations didn't cost innocent people their lives. Installing electrics incorrectly can cause people to get shocked or houses to burn down and it's not just the life of the DIY'er that's at stake.

I agree 98% of electrical installation can be instructed via a forum board or even a telephone for that matter but there's always that 2% that can't and that's where the 4uck-up's occur. You can only reduce this risk with two things, you need to be there first hand and you need experience that only years of education and on-the-job learning can give you.

You might be convinced electricians are overpriced or unnecessary but after you've seen the results of building fires where whole families including the pets have died and were started by nothing more than bad-practice electrical installation techniques you would recognize your short sightedness.

........So the qualified members who frequent forums such as this walk a thin line between helping unqualified visitors out with information and suggestions to save them some time and money but also encouraging them not to go places or do things that might get them or other people killed. Nobody knows where the line is, it varies from DIY'er to DIY'er and from job to job but the one thing we do all know is when the line is crossed we are as responsible for any unexpected outcomes as the guy doing the work.

All I'm trying to say is that if or when you start getting replies that it's time to call a qualified electrician then it's probably just that.....it's time to call an electrician.

You can teach a man everything there is to know about fishing, it still doesn't mean he should be sailing a boat out to sea without a skippers license.

Mods please use this post as a sticky that members can use to post to Mr DIYer. Spot on mate.

Like des says....most diyers wont understand the concept of Zs and why its so important and even if they had read it someware would they know about "rule of thumb" and which value to apply it to (measured or tabulated) also, would they concider rcd times or even the reason that cable clips have maximum spacing allowances etc? Or how about safe zones and adiquate protection for non rcd protected circuits or even not to run data or alarm cables in parrallel with final circuits. I am not saying that a diyer isn`t capable of installing but that the install may not be compliant.......

Alright clever cloggs, I was just trying to post a quick response, thats all. We all could of gone into this much detail, you Teacher's pet... LOL.

Reply to D.I.Y. REWIRE-- A Step By Step Guide. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock