Discuss D.I.Y. REWIRE-- A Step By Step Guide. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rsmck: do you know why we clip cables and why we clip them at 250mm centres? Its just that you mentioned in your post near the top of this page that you have left some unclipped above a bathroom? Did you know that a fault current reaches full potential on the first quarter cycle which places serious strain on unclipped cables? Thats why we clip em...........

Des 56, are the individual instruments really better than multifunction testers? If they gave different readings, the MFs wouldn't get their calibration certs would they?

Please dont read too seriously into that post, the occasionall light hearted and stupid comments tend to be a weakness of mine

To answer your post

"Better" ? Of course individual instruments are better
At least in my opinion they are
Different readings,now come on sir,I haven't stated that,----yet
icon12.png

Each to their own I suppose,my reasons are
If for instance the meter devleoped a problem,I dont lose the functions of the other meters,whereas if a multifunction tester develops a problem, you have lost the lot

Setting the instruments up for the various functions is a pain in the backside,beep,beep,change,beep beep,change :sleeping:

When I am testing away from the dist board,there is not that cumbersome contraption to haul around, beep beep

There are downsides to seperate instruments and I will think of one in a moment

OK after musing for a few minutes,I have managed to conclude that, yes,they cost a little extra for callibration and,and,and sorry, thats it
icon7.png

Rsmck: do you know why we clip cables and why we clip them at 250mm centres? Its just that you mentioned in your post near the top of this page that you have left some unclipped above a bathroom? Did you know that a fault current reaches full potential on the first quarter cycle which places serious strain on unclipped cables? Thats why we clip em...........

It's funny that you mention clipping, because in another thread regarding running cables down the inside of stud walls, it was intimated that the normal course of action is to not clip (well at least not as often as required) because to do so would mean knocking too many holes in the wall??

It always amazes me however, when people have chosen not to clip, not because clipping would be an inordinate amount of work but simply because they could not be bothered. Suspended ceilings seem to be a case in point, as I've come across quite a few where the cable for lighting is simply laid on top :nono:

Rsmck. I see you are online. I have to apologize to you and admit that I thought you were the OP to this post. I picked upon the post when your name was next to the subject matter , this is what led me to believe that this was your post.
I can see that you are a person of integrity and that you knowledge is well above that of the average layman and would not have contributed in the manner that I did.

Rsmck. I see you are online. I have to apologize to you and admit that I thought you were the OP to this post. I picked upon the post when your name was next to the subject matter , this is what led me to believe that this was your post.
I can see that you are a person of integrity and that you knowledge is well above that of the average layman and would not have contributed in the manner that I did.

Well said.....

Anyone mind if I change the subject back to cable clips?

No, good :)

How long have the regs for clipping cables been around? I only ask because NONE of the cables in my place are clipped at all.

GLENNSPARK,

The unclipped cables will be clipped as soon as the bathroom is redone (soon!) at present they are in a ceiling void, between low powered downlights and protected by an RCD.

As far as I'm aware there is no specific regulation to stipulate how often cables are clipped other than they should be supported along their length and to prevent stress to the cable and terminations.

There was a table in the 16th Edition of minimum separation distances, but as far as I can see this is no longer in the 17th.

The regs require where cables are not supported continuously due to the method of installations they shall be supported by suitable means at appropriate intervals in such a manner that the cables do not suffer damage by their own weight (522.8.4)

Considering the (temporarily) unclipped span of 1.5mm cable is around 1.2m at it's longest and there is no risk of movement to the cables and no appreciable stress on the terminations or the cable from its own weight over such a short distance I consider it to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear rsmck, Where did i admit to not clipping cables?

I am going on what was said by JamesBrownLive

If you did not suggest this in another thread, then obviously the rest of that is irrelevant, please accept my apologies.

Whats a cable clip?:smile5:

Well in the installation I removed it ranged from a small length of rubber cable cut and stapled across the cable to hold it in place to a large nail put straight through the centre of them(!)

Generally I'd use the little plastic ones, much easier and less likely to fry whoever lifts the floorboards and finds the nail ;)

[I almost feel I have to add a disclaimer that this is intentionally written with a tone of sarcasm/poor attempt at humour as opposed to suggesting for a minute I was nailing through the cables - but it is genuinely what I found in this place!]

Sometimes you will come across small lengths if cable ends used with 2 clouts (a bit like a staple) to fix wiring but its just easier and better to get a box or 3 of tower clips.........

Well in the installation I removed it ranged from a small length of rubber cable cut and stapled across the cable to hold it in place to a large nail put straight through the centre of them(!)

Generally I'd use the little plastic ones, much easier and less likely to fry whoever lifts the floorboards and finds the nail ;)

[I almost feel I have to add a disclaimer that this is intentionally written with a tone of sarcasm/poor attempt at humour as opposed to suggesting for a minute I was nailing through the cables - but it is genuinely what I found in this place!]
Ah , I believe I've seen the odd one or two now you come to mention it.
Edit to add -you have a real treat to look forward to when you pull your first kitchen out,:yes::yes:

Last edited:
I am sure jamesbrown wasnt refering to a thread i had posted regarding vertical runs and clipping but just a thread he had seen in regards to the subject....why dont you ask him?

Sometimes you will come across small lengths if cable ends used with 2 clouts (a bit like a staple) to fix wiring but its just easier and better to get a box or 3 of tower clips.........

I think the two cables I found with a nail straight through them were probably the most surprising... they'd probably been there since the original installation in 1953 and did seem to be working when we moved in and before we discovered it (!)

No probs mate...Thing with me is i hate seeing s**t work (not implying anything towards your work) But crap we come across when out working:real yul brynner stuff some of it......take a look through the archives on this forum....plenty of pictorial evidence to choose from (it would be funny if it wernt damn right dangerous some of it)...........

No probs mate...Thing with me is i hate seeing s**t work (not implying anything towards your work) But crap we come across when out working:real yul brynner stuff some of it......take a look through the archives on this forum....plenty of pictorial evidence to choose from (it would be funny if it wernt damn right dangerous some of it)...........

That's true in every line of work sadly... Although not my full time job I spend a lot of time working as a theatre/events tech there's a group on facebook entitled "Dodgy Technicians" and "Lighting Wall of Shame" which shows the standard of some of the things - many electrical - you see in that industry too ;)

I can only imagine some of the stuff you see (i've looked through some of the threads!) likewise some of the things I've come across in venues - lights with no safeties, truss deflecting by stupid amounts due to the weight, socapex (an 18 core cable carrying 6 lives, 6 neutrals on a multipin connector often on different phases) wrapped around a chain for a chain hoist, a kettle with the plug cut off and the bare ends inserted into a 63A 3ø outlet on a generator....

It's amazing what people will try and do - or will do without even thinking about it

(Almost as amazing as how off-topic this has gotten ;))

We went to a factory one time where the director was gettin in a flap as a guy he had blown out was threatening to report him. When we got in there we found loads of 2 cores just hanging down without any termination or isolation (all energised stuff) and a 3 phase panel with loads of blanks missing plus a 3 phase starter with no front on it! Loads of other code 1s in there n all: we were there ages man just recording s**t.........the only motive for this kn**head to get it sorted was the elf n safety guys coming in and padlocking the lot after the sacked one had carried out his threat...unbelievable.........

Reply to D.I.Y. REWIRE-- A Step By Step Guide. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net