Discuss D.O.L With Timer Circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

owenskinner

Hi.

I am new to D.O.L but have sussed them out except I have one scenario I still need help with.

There is a single phase pool pump which is set to come on with a honeywell single channel 7 day time clock.

I have wired the D.O.L as single phase with a 230V coil.

The problem is I need the D.O.L to switch on AND off with the time clock but still be overridden with the overload or stop button. Is this possible?

As you know the remote start is supposed to be a retractive switch but the time clock will be giving out constant voltage for the time it wants to be on for, this obviously will stop the stop button or overload doing their jobs.

Is there a way of wiring it with contacts 97 & 98, or is there another approach I need to adopt?

Any help appreciated.

I have wired it as per this document http://www.europacomponents.com/pdfs/DOL_Ins_11_2012.pdf

Thanks.

Your timeswitch will surely be providing the control circuit and not the running power.
Therefor stop button and overloads and start button will all be available at an on time.
Looking at the diagram, you need to take the control feed off incoming L1 and to the clock for switching.
Hope I have worked out correctly what you are asking.

Boydy

Your timeswitch will surely be providing the control circuit and not the running power.
Therefor stop button and overloads and start button will all be available at an on time.
Looking at the diagram, you need to take the control feed off incoming L1 and to the clock for switching.

Boydy

Hi.

The circuit is as follows.

RCBO through an iC20 NO contactor to D.O.L. The iC20 contactor is operated via A1 from the time clock. So the time clock makes the contactor pass the current to the motor but through the D.O.L. If I could get the D.O.L to operate how I want it to I could do away with the iC20 but I am still left with the switching conundrum..

I hope I have made myself clear?

Hi.

The circuit is as follows.

RCBO through an iC20 NO contactor to D.O.L. The iC20 contactor is operated via A1 from the time clock. So the time clock makes the contactor pass the current to the motor but through the D.O.L. If I could get the D.O.L to operate how I want it to I could do away with the iC20 but I am still left with the switching conundrum..

I hope I have made myself clear?

It's faily strait forward remove the integral wiring that it came with. This stop the start circuit holding in the coil.

Run the switch live from the time clock to one side of the overload contact then from the other side of the overload contact to A1 of the coil. Then link A2 to neutral. You should then be up and running.

Basicly you are pulling in the contactor coil with either the time clock or the overloads allowing it to be disconnected.

It's faily strait forward remove the integral wiring that it came with. This stop the start circuit holding in the coil.

Run the switch live from the time clock to one side of the overload contact then from the other side of the overload contact to A1 of the coil. Then link A2 to neutral. You should then be up and running.

Basicly you are pulling in the contactor coil with either the time clock or the overloads allowing it to be disconnected.

Hi.

Thank you for that, I have wired it as you said (I'm pretty sure) it did work to switch on the contactor and the stop button does interrupt the supply but only as long as you hold it down for, will this be the same for the overload? Will the overload hold it open circuit indefinitely?

Also the reset has two positions, manual and auto (it locks into the auto by pushing down and twisting with a screwdriver), I presume in manual it has to be manually pushed to reset it after an overload and in auto it kicks itself back in after a set time or after it has cooled down etc?

Also what are contacts 97 & 98 do, they have the NO legend (normally open).

Thanks again.

What do you think they do?

You sure your competent enough to do this?

Well they are Normally Open contacts but how exactly they interact with the overload is still a bit of a mystery as all the wiring schematics I have seen use the normally closed contacts. Buzzing them out proves nothing that I can tell.

Everything is obvious when you have been shown, not so obvious when you haven't

I just found this article which is really helpful at explaining the intricacies.

http://www.ecollege.ie/site/liu/electrical_notes/LL242.pdf

I used the test button to test if your wiring works the way I need it to and it does. The only thing possibly problematic now is to make the Stop button latching, I will speak to the wholesalers to see if there is a D.O.L with latching stop, I'm sure there will be, do you know?

Thanks again and any more information appreciated!

You wouldn't have a stop latching anything.

The start should latch pressing the stop will unlatch it.

N/O contacts on an OL close when it operates, much in the same way n/c open when it operates.

What qualifications do you own? Are you an electrician/apprentice/diyer. I'm asking as this is very basic.

Boydy

That would kind of work, it would still require the time clock to come on and then a human to press the start button on the D.O.L wouldn't it?

You wouldn't have a stop latching anything.

The start should latch pressing the stop will unlatch it.

N/O contacts on an OL close when it operates, much in the same way n/c open when it operates.

What qualifications do you own? Are you an electrician/apprentice/diyer. I'm asking as this is very basic.

Paul Ps way of wiring is working nicely, its just pressing the Stop button doesn't keep it off as the time clock then puts it back in as soon as you release the stop button, which isn't the end of the world unless it is a requirement for emergency switching, but as it is in a pool pump I am not sure if this is an issue.

The test button successfully keeps it off until you press the reset button in manual mode.

C&G 2330 L3, NVQ L3, 2391, Small Scale Solar PV. No experience with motors or overloads..

No.

Now ow what qualifications do you have?

RE:
That would kind of work, it would still require the time clock to come on and then a human to press the start button on the D.O.L wouldn't it?

It does still require you to press the start button once the timer has kicked in unfortunately.

Seriously this isn't hard!

You want your DOL starter to have a timer element that switches it on and off on when programmed right?

Just wire a two channel timer in parallel from your start button and in series with your stop button. Channel 1 (n/o) to pulse the start when you want the pump on, channel 2 (n/c) to pulse open to stop when you want the pump off.

The DOL will still be able to override the timer whenever.

Every swimming pool panel that i've come across, has a H.O.A switch, to control the pump motor. Never seen one with just push button on and off switches!! I wonder why that is??

Every swimming pool panel that i've come across, has a H.O.A switch, to control the pump motor. Never seen one with just push button on and off switches!! I wonder why that is??

Hi. I have turned up to this system and haven't done any pool controls before. Any help and general practice appreciated.

Reply to D.O.L With Timer Circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock