Discuss Daddy and/or mummy job hunting for their child in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yeah I know, just having a poke.

I too find it quite odd that 18+ people are relying on ma and pa to do the legwork for seeking employment, but you never know, maybe the desperate parents are just trying to shoehorn them off their sofa.

As soon as mine is of a working age and not in education he will have to leave the house at 09:00 and he can return at 17:00 until he gets a job.

My aul boy got me a job when I was 15.

He also put the feelers out when I decided to take up sparking. A friend of a friend was willing to take me on as an apprentice, however I managed to land a different apprenticeship on my own.

The family network is pretty common.

There's nothing wrong with looking out for your own.

Turning up to interviews, now that's a different story. Do you politely chase the parents or what? Are the parents just overbearing or are they viewing it not as an interview but an informal meeting with someone they are already acquainted with.

Also I think if you are recommended by a family member it shows that you have confidence and trust in your child, and that you are sure they will carry on your good name.

I am only 36 but I would never have dreamt of my mum accompanying me to anything to do with work. In fact I would find it embarressing.

When I started my apprenticeship my mum would be in regular contact with my boss to ensure I was progressing.

Probably this ^^. There's a higher incidence of failure to launch and parents are having to get proactive to get rid of the expensive and soul destroying teenager infestation in their house.
Defo haha. Parents are taking matters into their own hands to get the house back to themselves by any means neccesary!! lol

Too many kids are doing “non job” type degrees ...... what the point in a media studies degree?

The worst one has to be gender studies!

Three years and £36k to have a piece of paper that proves you know there are men and women?!?

Kids these days are literally taking thirty odd grand from a bank, burning it, and then paying off the loan stacking shelves in Tesco. University has in most cases become worthless.

Probably this ^^. There's a higher incidence of failure to launch and parents are having to get proactive to get rid of the expensive and soul destroying teenager infestation in their house.

The thing is I think if young adults are coming out of school thinking they are entitled to be doing nothing all day then this behaviour has started way before adulthood. This behaviour is usually a result in years of parents doing everything for their children when reality in the working environment is completely different.

As parents we need to look at ourselves and ask are we producing adults ready for the adult world.

At 16 my son got an interview at the local Coop ........... the interviewing Manager commented that:

Lots of applicants don't turn up on time
Lots of applicants don't dress to "impress"
Lots of applicants obviously had their application forms completed by their parents .....

Lots of parents don't give a txss.

PS: He got the job and worked there for 3 years - gave him so much experience of dealing with people ........ and I'm sure that helped him with his interviews this year.

This an annoyance of mine too. On a first meeting I always wear a suit, without exception. I call people 'sir' or ma'am' until asked otherwise.

You only get one chance to make a first impression.

In my forma job we had a new apprentice who got the job because his mother came in and asked... this was 25+ yrs ago, the lad kept letting us down, not turning up etc... he actually came in one day claiming he was helping a mate with the decorating but he let slip to one of the other apprentices he had been smoking spliffs all day with said mate.. he was formally warned but it happened again with lame excuses, we let him go and 2 weeks later him mum came in crying for us to give him another chance, she was told some uncomfortable truth, turns out she thought he lost his job the day before, she had no clue about the warnings or his little habit.... we said we are looking for intellectual, strong minded individuals who we can trust in a customers house to come across as professional and be able to answer any technical questions posed to them... we said the fact you came in yourself 'his mother' begging for his job only strengthens our decision to let him go.

It has always existed but I will agree now that many kids have a privileged mindset and expect life to give them the opportunities rather than them working hard to get them.

In my forma job we had a new apprentice who got the job because his mother came in and asked... this was 25+ yrs ago, the lad kept letting us down, not turning up etc... he actually came in one day claiming he was helping a mate with the decorating but he let slip to one of the other apprentices he had been smoking spliffs all day with said mate.. he was formally warned but it happened again with lame excuses, we let him go and 2 weeks later him mum came in crying for us to give him another chance, she was told some uncomfortable truth, turns out she thought he lost his job the day before, she had no clue about the warnings or his little habit.... we said we are looking for intellectual, strong minded individuals who we can trust in a customers house to come across as professional and be able to answer any technical questions posed to them... we said the fact you came in yourself 'his mother' begging for is job only strengthens our decision to let him go.

It has always existed but I will agree now that many kids have a privileged mindset and expect life to give them the opportunities rather than them working hard to get them.

That is exactly my point.

We also had one lad who we asked as an apprentice to untangle a 30m run of SWA from itself, 15mins later he was still struggling so asked if he was ok, YEP ! came the answer, another 10mins he was sat on the floor crying saying I didn't sign up to unravel cable, do I have to do this... I said no, just don't turn up to work again and you got your wish...
He never came back in.. he was fed with a silver spoon by all accounts but his dad wanted him to get a real career and prove himself... seems the parents don't understand the damage they do giving their kids all they ask for.

I have to admit to introducing my eldest lad,to all of my work related contacts,from very early. He came with me,rain or shine,got treated as an adult,and straightened out accordingly.
A number of these,hail from our farming,dealing and Gypsy community.
His manners,respect and confidence blossomed,and gradually,could look any of my colleagues and associates in the eye, and engage in any type of conversation.

Over the last 3 years,he has becomes resolutely independent,and is forging ahead with his determined goal,of heading to Lympstone,Officer training in the Marines.

He is sixteen. :)

Reply to Daddy and/or mummy job hunting for their child in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net