Discuss Damaged Hard Drive in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

am i reading the right post here, the he has connected it up via SATA in a PC already as far as i read in Post 3

Yes he has but that wasn’t successful because of his bios settings. If he does it via USB he won’t have that problem as the system will see the drive as a storage device rather than a start-up drive. The problem with connecting it directly to the computer is that the primary start-up drive will see the operating system on the second drive. Windows will attempt to self sabotage that drive as it will see it as an attempt to clone the system. If it does work the first time, he will be on borrowed time and will have to get his files off before he shuts the computer down. He is unlikely to get a second chance.

the OS on the 2nd drive is Damaged by the sound of it beyond life..
as a slave SATA drive it shouldnt give a hoot about the OS
the USB connectors can be funny things, Stick to the things that COST LESS
IE seeing if it can even see the HDD in the BIOS and as far as i can read he hasnt done that yet
gone in to the BIOS and see if it can find a 2nd Hard drive
listen to the drive to the sounds it is making ..

could get a LIVE OS disc
boot up from that
copy the hard drive to a USB Pen
and have the date that way without taking the hard drive out of the system it was in

But he has it in anther system, direct to it..
check in the BIOS first to see if the Hard drive is visible
THIS DOSNT not effect the OS becasue the OS dosnt even come in to play as yet

If it can find it then let Windows boot up, as the Drive with Windows on should be the MASTER DRIVE
as the BIOS should have it set up as it shouldnt give a Hoot about the 2nd Drive and just think of it as a SLAVE
If it dose see a OS on it (never done this before myself) it should ask what OS you want to boot up from
One will work and ne by the sounds of it will fall over and die .. then you try the other OS that will work

Ive had two XP systems on one drive and Linux and Windows.

What he needs is Samantha Carter. She knows about forbidden Goa'uld magic and Asgard technology.:wink_smile:

What he needs is Samantha Carter. She knows about forbidden Goa'uld magic and Asgard technology.:wink_smile:
Essex girl!

one thing is to get in to good habbits..
Backup to USB and Drop Box even Email

at college i used to dump my work in a Hotmail email account

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Damaged Hard Drive in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock