• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Damaged thread on lug of metal back box in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Give a spark a ring,so he can safely isolate,trim back decoration,hack out back-box,install new one with grommets,etc,re-plaster,return,match decor as good as can be expected,re-fit and test.

.....Because sparks have kids who expect Christmas presents,that a single 3.5mm re-thread won't buy...:):):) ho ho

How badly damaged is the thread ?
You can drill the hole out a bit
then glue a new nut on the rear with a liquid metal adhesive.
Use a bolt to hold it in place whilst the adhesive dries.

If the hole is too big, I’ve often re threaded the hole to 4mm, then put a M4 screw in the chuck of a battery drill and grind the head down to the right size on a file

I was going to suggest that too tap it out to m4 and use a brass screw filed down in a drill. Got me out of a fix a good few times. Only problem nowadays with this is people want low profile or chrome sockets!

Ah yes I hadn't thought of that good one, I have a load of them in the back of my van somewhere that I got given. Not that I do much house bashing if I can help it, never been into it!

Is it the fixed lug or or the non fixed ? If it's the non fixed open it up with a screwdriver and replace it with another from a spare back box and close it back up again ensuring you apply some pressure. Otherwise as above methods .

If all the above fails, and the box is sunk into solid masonry, drill through the back of the box and into the masonry, push in yellow or red plastic wall plug, and fit plate with very long No 6 wood screw.

Reply to Damaged thread on lug of metal back box in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back