Discuss danfoss thermostats in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

itsmrb

Hi

My wife and i have moved into a newbuild which has two thermostats. The first is a danfoss tp9000 and is located downstairs and the second is a smaller danfoss tp5000 model. The tp9000 has more controls and also handles the hot water. What i'm not sure about though is whether the tp5000 is completely independent. For example, if i have the heating on the tp9000 turned off completely by moving it from auto to off would this also stop the tp5000 for starting up the boiler? Would i need to switch the tp5000 off as well or will this only operate when the tp9000 is on? Just thinking ahead to when it turns milder and i don't need them running each day.

Thanks

all depends on how it's been wired. only way to see is to turn the 9000 off and the 5000 on. then see if the heating comes on.

No underfloor heating.

Also, i heat the water for 60 mins from 5am and then for 30 mins 4pm and 30mins 8.30pm. Does this sound reasonable? It's just the two of us. The installer had it coming on for 1 hour 3 times a day but i thought this was excessive.

No underfloor heating.

Also, i heat the water for 60 mins from 5am and then for 30 mins 4pm and 30mins 8.30pm. Does this sound reasonable? It's just the two of us. The installer had it coming on for 1 hour 3 times a day but i thought this was excessive.

whatever suits you best i normally say/do 1 hour before the person gets up and 1 hour before they come back from work for hot water and heating wise 30 mins as above

and yea what telectrix said turn one off and start playing around eg turning heating on etc and see what comes on

No underfloor heating.

The "right" setting is the one that suits YOUR needs - regardless of whatever that is!

I have mine on 24/7 ..... would that suit you??

Your hot water will be controlled by a cylinder thermostat, so if the the hot water is up to temp it won't kick the boiler in anyway regardless if the programmer is set for 30mins or 60mins. The way it works is programmer switches thermostat on, thermostat switches the valve, the valve switches the boiler. And by the sounds of things it looks like you have separate heating zones for upstairs and downstairs and should be able to control them independently, but as previous posts have said the only way to find out is to switch them on separately and find what heats up and what doesn't.

No underfloor heating.

A common misunderstanding is that the hot water is constantly heating for the times set on the programmer, it isn't.
The hot water will only be heated until the tank is up to temperature, then the thermostat switches off and will only switch on again when the temperature of the water in the tank drops.
With a modern well insulated tank you will probably not see much difference in energy used between having it on all day and running it as you are.

Hi

My wife and i have moved into a newbuild which has two thermostats. The first is a danfoss tp9000 and is located downstairs and the second is a smaller danfoss tp5000 model. The tp9000 has more controls and also handles the hot water. What i'm not sure about though is whether the tp5000 is completely independent. For example, if i have the heating on the tp9000 turned off completely by moving it from auto to off would this also stop the tp5000 for starting up the boiler? Would i need to switch the tp5000 off as well or will this only operate when the tp9000 is on? Just thinking ahead to when it turns milder and i don't need them running each day.

Thanks

Why not get your notepad & pencil and try changing settings one at a time and write down what you changed and what effect it had?

Reply to danfoss thermostats in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net