Discuss dangerous arcing type problem coming from one of the upstairs bedroom sockets and fcu in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tom J

When we first moved into our house about 16 years ago the whole of the downstairs power, including the kitchen was re-wired by Eastern Electricity. The ancient fuse box was replaced to a Wylex consumer unit (I think 12 way) with mcb's and 1 rcd in it.
Also power was added to the loft.

However... The lighting both upstairs and downstairs lighting and the upstairs power were not re-wired, although were checked and thought to be ok. I reckon the wiring is about 30-40 years old for that. It's not rubber though, but all white pvc sheathed, not grey pvc sheathed like the re-wired power.

Now onto the problem, several years ago the only double socket with a fcu attached to it connected to an old outside security light in the spare bedroom the switch wore out on it; and it arced quite brightly and welded the contacts shut.
The double socket was replaced by an MK brand, but not by an electrician, but by some guy we knew who repairs washing machines.

Only a few weeks ago I noticed a scorch mark on one of the socket switches which I thought was strange. Since it's an MK socket and no really heavy load was drawn from it. A security light with no more than a 300w halogen bulb in it, also my computer rated around 500w, two monitors rated about 150w each screen, active speakers around 100w power consumption. And a few other very low wattage appliances like a modem,etc plugged into the extension lead on one side of the double socket.
And the fcu switch made a sizzling sound when it's turned either on or off.

I've checked the plugs and all the wires were tight, however the extension lead plug didn't fit the socket too well. So I've thrown out the extension lead.

So as I'm just the son, not the property owner. I got my mum to ask her friend who has knows a bit about domestic wiring to have a look at the socket. So he turned off the upstairs breaker and opened both the double socket and fcu in the spare bedroom.
He saw the socket terminals were loose,so tightened them. And opened up the fcu and found plaster dust in the fcu switch and thought that was causing the sizzling noise.

I thought all was well, until hours later into the night, a very loud humming/buzzing noise came from that room.
So I ran downstairs to turn the breaker off thinking it was going to create a fire hazard.

The friend of mum's came back the other day and we explained the problem to him and he's disconnected the fcu from the socket (removed the piece of cable going to it) and replaced the faulty MK socket with a new socket. But it's a cheap Homebase branded one, so hopefully that won't be an issue.
Been fine so far, as for the fcu, that will need replacing.
However I discovered the cable removed from the fcu has a burnt neutral wire on the fcu side. And the fcu was both charred and corroded inside. Most likely a loose connection and the damp from outside got in.

Now my questions are:

As my mum is doing things nowadays on the cheap. And would rather hire cowboys than proper electricians (even if she doesn't care about the fire and/or electrocution hazard).
How could the wall of outside light be sealed so moisture and insects doesn't come in through the wire entry hole?
And that the plaster of the wall won't fall into the new fcu switch?

And last but not least that it won't create a problem in the future?

I know the wiring won't last forever, but how long does wiring last before it has to be re-wired?

Re: dangerous arcing type problem coming from one of the upstairs bedroom sockets and

1. Silicone .................
2. how long is a piece of string ....................in this case I would say yours is quite short.

You are going to have to tell mum she as got to bite the bullet and get someone in that can test the installation for her, and do a PROPER job ....................... a decent sparks will do a full report on your house for less than 200 pounds, pretty good value for piece of mind I think

Re: dangerous arcing type problem coming from one of the upstairs bedroom sockets and

I read every word of that expecting a totally different question.... why didnt you just ask in 3 short sentences the question you eventually asked,,, i feel ive lost a valuable 1.5mins of my life :tongue3:

I know the wiring won't last forever, but how long does wiring last before it has to be re-wired?
I read in a book recently that wiring should be 'reviewed' and rewired (if necessary) every 25 years

On the shelf along with the crime series "Ohm's Law by Ivy Watts"

Reply to dangerous arcing type problem coming from one of the upstairs bedroom sockets and fcu in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net