Discuss Dangers of flimsy or missing guards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

johnduffell

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I seem to remember there was a discussion recently about/guards removable without a tool, and there were comments that people with tools can still put themselves at risk.
Even if switchgear or accessories are open, theoretically the basic insulation and shields should protect you from accidental contact with live parts, but there could be a window of danger when stumbling could be the last thing you do.
http://www.tracksafetyalliance.co.u...B-17_19-Electric-shock-to-member-of-staff.pdf

I'm not sure whether the issue of shields is relevant in the case you have linked to ? In the last paragraph of the overview it seems to allude to parts that were live that should have been isolated. I'm not sure though as it is not very clear.

Andy 78, it sounded like they had removed all the shields in order to test for dead, and it turned out it wasn't dead.
But i agree it's not completely clear, but i wonder how much people consider tripping in risk assessments when working on live (ie not proved dead) equipment

Andy 78, it sounded like they had removed all the shields in order to test for dead, and it turned out it wasn't dead.
But i agree it's not completely clear, but i wonder how much people consider tripping in risk assessments when working on live (ie not proved dead) equipment

It's pretty much the first practical thing you get taught as an apprentice related to health and safety. Before any work commences do a visual risk assessment and clear your work area of hazards.

“Slips, trips and falls” are the base line hazard for any construction site.
I imagine the same would apply for any maintenance operation.

ever had that urge to reach into those live terminals, they call out to me like saurons ring

almost like a " do not touch this button", finger hovering over the button, does it end the world? is it just a button for something boring?

Haha! Put a cable-tie on a Wagobox, it needs a tool to open it...
Only a complete tool would open it and stick a finger in whether it had a tie on it or not?
sadly, not the case...
But then, we have inquisitive fingers, and careless fingers...
and that's life...

Put a cable-tie on a Wagobox, it needs a tool to open it...
Only a complete tool would open it and stick a finger in whether it had a tie on it or not?
I went to a temporary exhibition where they used them for all the junction boxes, walking in the door the first thing i saw was one lying on the floor accessible to any passing kids.
Reported it but they didn't do anything about it, but they did strongly warn me not to add zip ties to them myself as it's against their rules to have someone unqualified touching it...

Reply to Dangers of flimsy or missing guards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock