Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Dash Cams in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Anyone got a dash cam and found them useful?

Just wondering...

Thanks

2. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

One came with my van. Can't figure it out. One came through the post free from my insurers. Not fitted it yet.

So, limited usefulness so far I have found :D

3. Murdoch

Does that mean you have 2 dash cams or have I misunderstood your post?

4. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

Yes I do. But as I can't figure out the one currently in my van I'll be putting in the new one I got sent from my insurers as that one has instructions, but it still looks just as much generic Chinese junk as my current one.

5. D00DY_T00DY

D00DY_T00DY Gorilla Whisperer Electrician's Arms

Pretty sure you just need to pop in a memory card and it runs continus or there's some that sense sudden movement.
    It then rewrite the previous recordings when out of memory.

6. LeeH

LeeH Electrician's Arms

I'll be fitting one when I change van.

Invaluable if you ever have an insurance dispute.

7. Murdoch

Why not fit one now?

8. D00DY_T00DY

Pretty sure most of them just require power from the van socket and a memory card. 5minute job

9. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

Yeah I get all that, but I think this one does what it wants. Sometimes the screen is on, sometimes it is off, sometimes the led is on, sometimes off, sometimes blinking. It has about 6 buttons on it and none are labelled or marked.

10. D00DY_T00DY

Google is your friend. Try look for a model number and look for a manual or like I do and keep pressing each button and see what happens

Saying "OOOO what does THIS button do?" Is the key to success

Edit: wasn't aware they even had buttons. Thought it was a plug in and leave it running job. Take out the memory card incase something happens.

One button will save the last x amount of minutes when pressed I guess. Another to turn it on and off. That's like 1/3 of the job done for you;)

11. LeeH

LeeH Electrician's Arms

If it costs 50 quid it will double its value.

Spending a quid on it hurts me.

12. D00DY_T00DY

Must have a fit when filling it up lol

13. soms

soms Trainee Access

Have a RoadHawk one which i've had 18 months or so, it's relatively discrete and produces very good quality video, far better than a dirt cheap one (tried one and returned it within a day).
    Have a high speed SD memory card in it, if I need to look at the video files I take out the card and connect it to the computer. Hard wired it under the dashboard using a kit and a switch rather than draping a cigarette light adapter all over the place.
    Have some issues with the quality of the wiring kit (random camera loss of power/restarts), and some file corruption on my memory card which is frustrating. I am looking into a new routine of regular card formats to see if this "maintenance" solves my corruption problem.
    I think it is useful to have and if there was to be an incident it would be good as evidence (provided it doesn't happen when I am experiencing my technical issues!)

14. Murdoch

Birthday present? Xmas present? Fathers day?

15. LeeH

LeeH Electrician's Arms

That's a very generous offer Murdoch.:D

• Like Like x 1