Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Dash Cams ................................ in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Been thinking about getting a dash camera .... and as Xmas is coming up maybe Santa will bring me one.

Looking for suggestions based on your experiences ...... Not too bothered about it having a screen built in so something with wifi is preferred

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jay Sparks

Jay Sparks Trusted Advisor

I was also looking at getting myself one but was unsure which one to get. Ideally I would like one that turns on and off with the ignition.

And as above, not to bothered about the built in screen.

Jay

3. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Nextbase and Blackvue are meant to be good but I fitted one of these to my Lotus and hard wired it in with a 12V to 5V adapter with USB bought from eBay for a few £'s you will need the correct USB lead and maybe an extension cable to route it nicely.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UUQD9L6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a capacitor instead of a battery so there is less of a chance of the battery expanding and failing if it over heats, it doesn't have the "nudge" feature but I also fitted a switch so if I was in a public car park I could turn it on with the ignition off.

Quality wise make your own minds up, thats an iffy junction close to where I live so I always slow down there.

4. SWD

Oh and another one, same junction one day if I have a car thats too expensive to repair I will keep driving around there until someone hits me.........

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

I have a Blackvue in my van and it's very good. Crystal clear and good recording time. Also the software is easy to navigate.

6. SWD

Just to add as the 12V to 5V adapter had 2 USB connectors I also ran a cable in to charge the phone.

Work in progression........

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 09.57.10.jpg Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.43.02.jpg Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 11.43.26.jpg

7. SWD

I have a Blackvue as well but I swapped it out as I preferred to have a screen to see if it was on and the BV I had wouldn't overwrite the car so you had to remember to reformat it every so often.

8. Strima

Never had that problem with mine. Only had to take the card out once as it starting whining a little bit about card formatting but just needed re-seating.

9. SWD

Just clean the contacts up with some Isopropyl Alcohol and a cotton bud if it complains too much, maybe mine needs a firmware upgrade plus the software never worked with my Mac.

• Like Like x 1
  10. xmetal

xmetal EF Member

I have a Nextbase and have to format it from time to time because it write-protects the video segment on the card if the dashcam receives a jolt. The Nextbase produces some lovely clear images and I would recommend it.

11. Percyprod

Percyprod Regular EF Member

Been thinking of one as well. Trouble is you really need 2, front and back. Not keen on the idea of a screen, not really necessary and another distraction, like having sat nav in main viewing area of screen. I think one thing about them is it puts you right off driving in Russia or any of the Eastern European countries if You Tube is anything to go by!

12. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

Have one on my crash helmet.
    Took a bit of adjusting to get it to miss my speedo.
    Have an SD card reader I can plug into my iPhone or iPad.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. SWD

You place it in front of the rear view mirror so its not in the line of sight but you glance at it before pulling away. I think the travel time costs to Moscow would put potential clients off so you needn't worry about having to drive to Russia.

14. SWD

Always turn off GPS positioning if it has that feature.

15. Strima

I was lucky for a while as my speedo didn't work... :D Then I went and stupidly fixed it... :oops:

16. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

You lost me - could you expand on this?

17. SWD

Grrrrrrr sausage fingers, "card" as in memory card for some reason it wouldn't overwrite so once full would stop recording so had to be reformatted to clear down the data.

• Like Like x 1