Discuss Data circuit advice in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

ginster

Hi all

I've been asked to install a number of data points In a new office conversion, 10 in all but have never done data before.
Anyone care to give me some pointers please.
Mark

Find out where they all need to run back to, usually a rack cabinet of some kind with a patch panel and Ethernet switches.

Run the specified grade of data cable between each outlet and the patch panel location. (Think of each run as a single point radial if this helps)

Consider running 2 cables to each point as people will inevitably want to expand the office in the future.

Search on here and you should find a guide to the actual terminations.

As Dave has pointed out above....most patch panels and cat outlets are colour coded these days, so it hard to get it wrong

remember most data points have 2 ethernet ports on them.

a kroning tool costs £5 for a cheap one from screwfix, not brilliant quality but good enough for occational use (also called a punch down tool or bt tool etc)

a drum of cat 5 or 6 looks a lot better than the cheap cable that you get in a box

you might need an rj45 crimper for panel end and an rj45 tester is worth picking up for how little they cost

It's a krone tool, named after the company krone who manufacture IDC connectors to the pattern which has been adopted for rj45 points.

I don't understand what you mean by a drum of cable looking better than a box? Some of the best quality cable is supplied in boxes (hellerman tyton)

It's a krone tool, named after the company krone who manufacture IDC connectors to the pattern which has been adopted for rj45 points.

I don't understand what you mean by a drum of cable looking better than a box? Some of the best quality cable is supplied in boxes (hellerman tyton)

most of the stuff we get in a box looks terrible on tray etc, the lsf stuff we got on a drum looks a lot better

think it was lsf thinking about it

Eh? I can't say I've ever had a problem making any new cable look neat.
Granted when you've got to straighten out someone else's birdsnests it ain't so easy, but brand new cable shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to Data circuit advice in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net