Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Day on / Night Off - Sensor in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Intoelectrics

Intoelectrics Regular EF Member

Hi folks,
    I'm looking to see if there is a photoelectric sensor which works opposite to the ones normally fitted for out door lighting. The readily available ones normally operate dusk till dawn. But I require on that operates dawn till dusk.
    The customer wants a machine to run during daylight hours only, but doesn't want the bother of a timer. The machine is located in a shed that remains dark all the time so I would like to mount a sensor outside.

I've searched online and they are available in the USA but have not come across any in the UK.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. GMES

GMES Hairy and proud Staff Member Admin

Is the customer going to be in the room all day, if so surely a simple light switch would do.

3. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

Maybe use a normal one, in conjunction with an appropriate relay?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. snowhead

snowhead Forum Mentor

• Like Like x 4
  5. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
  6. marconi

marconi Respected Member

Intoelectrics: What current is to be switched? What is the nature of the machine and hence load current ( ie: resistive , reactive, surge?). Such details are important in the selection of a reliable switching device.

• Like Like x 1
  7. snowhead

snowhead Forum Mentor

8. Intoelectrics

No, its basically a compressor locked away in an outhouse on a busy farm. He wants it so it just comes on to top up the receiver tank as and when the farm staff use the air. What happens currently is that people just end up leaving it switched on and it then runs through the night especially if there is an air leak anywhere. I suggested a timer but he didn't like that idea because he just wants it running during day light hours and not any particular set time period.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Intoelectrics

10. Intoelectrics

The switch/sensor would not be subject to the load of the compressor as there is already a D.O.L starter and overload in place. I would just run it in place of the start button, in series with the stop button and ditch the hold in contact.

11. marconi

marconi Respected Member

You will need to label up and have warning signs that the starter and compressor are remotely controlled, by what and where and when.

I reckon this remote control scheme is unsafe - it is so out of the ordinary to have some rotating machinery powered up only when there is daylight. There are other solutions - what about a 'first man/woman in' controller which energises the compressor for so many hours to suit the farm's requirement and then turns the supply off?

Schneider make a suitable DIN device but I am being harangued at the moment by my wife to cook tea which prevents me doing the search for it. What you want is the device which will take an impulse input, which turns on for a set period and then turns off - a bit like a staircase lighting controller but with a much longer timer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  12. marconi

marconi Respected Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Intoelectrics

I'm aware its a little out of the ordinary but I don't see a problem with it. There are many situations where rotating machinery is controlled and left to run automatically. In fact I did some install work on a factory where their compressor runs on a timer 24/7 .

It would be clearly marked up and with the appropriate isolation points & protection devices installed.
    The compressor has already got a DOL starter & overload, pressure switch and pressure relief valve fitted and is sited inside a limited access locked shed.

The problem he has is that his staff get lazy or careless and no matter how often he points out that the compressor needs to be started and then stopped each day, it often gets forgotten about and then runs on through the night. I suggested to make one or two persons responsible for it, but managing it is difficult as his staff rotate their working patterns. At the moment he has to travel each day from his main site to go and check its turned off himself. You can appreciate its a pain in the backside for him so he asked me for possible solutions.

I just want to see what options are available before I go back to the customer with advice and a cost.

14. marconi

marconi Respected Member

The switch/sensor would not be subject to the load of the compressor as there is already a D.O.L starter and overload in place. I would just run it in place of the start button, in series with the stop button and ditch the hold in contact.

The way you intend to wire-in the photocell (or my impulse timer relay) needs some more thought to ensure it all works as required including after power-cuts, the stop button is pressed, the overload operates. I suggest you draw out the wiring for what you propose and determine how it would function and then do the modifications I think are necessary. Perhaps you could show us for comment.

15. Intoelectrics

Yeah I see your concern, the stop button is an emergency type which locks off (mushroom type) and requires twist and pull to reset. The overload also has a reset button. I could maybe install an additional relay so in the event of a power cut the automation would have to be manually restarted I guess. I can't think of any other way to keep it as simple as possible.