Discuss DC Volt stick in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You could try wading through Google
Click on the Google link.

12 – 24V Des.

I’m sure I’ve come across non contact DC detectors before, but where? I’ve a feeling they only detected a loaded cable. Pass it’s a long time ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
The normal Volt stick is triggered by the alternating voltage field so only works on AC. On DC the voltage field is static and so you MIGHT get an indication when moving the probe through the field. You can detect a loaded DC cable using a magnotometer but these are very expensive.

The normal Volt stick is triggered by the alternating voltage field so only works on AC. On DC the voltage field is static and so you MIGHT get an indication when moving the probe through the field. You can detect a loaded DC cable using a magnotometer but these are very expensive.

In theory that should work quite easily (!)
Old Tony is probably referring to the 'Stick your finger on it and see if you get a belt' technique.

Old Tony, Thank you Archie! (Miserable old git)!

Up to 100V DC, OK I couldn’t feel it.
But the 120KV electrostatic systems made me cringe to switch them.

Reply to DC Volt stick in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I used 12v dc from a 13 plate car battery to power a 12v dianamo dc motor and brought in an alternator to change the battery using the rotation of...
Replies
Views
Hello People Our Enphase solar system needs to have the AC supply shut down via the fire alarm contactors local input output unit that has NO &...
Replies
Views
I have not had to do the wiring for a wet underfloor heating system before. I think I started a thread fairly recently and had some very good...
Replies
Views
Why is this still a thing, just done a quick calculation with the TLC volt drop calculator and if its a non lighting circuit the recommended size...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone :) my first post here. Quick background I'm a newly qualified installer of somewhat advanced years whose just starting out in the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock