Discuss de Havilland Mosquito - l would love to see and hear one of these overhead in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think the demise of the Vulcan, was lack of agreement or support by the three main aerospace companies, which was required by the CAA. I also read/heard this was in part due to the lack of skills or knowledge base in these companies, of those engineers they used to employ; they are now in the autumn of their years.

I think the demise of the Vulcan, was lack of agreement or support by the three main aerospace companies, which was required by the CAA. I also read/heard this was in part due to the lack of skills or knowledge base in these companies, of those engineers they used to employ; they are now in the autumn of their years.
that was part of it, as the companies wanted to stop doing the work at mates rates and charge market rate. which you can understand. However, as most things it life it all came down to money!

B560BD5A-AEDE-4A1A-80C1-F86ED5FE5449.jpeg
Just been reading about this..................

https://www.justgiving.com/campaigns/charity/thepeoplesmosquito/take-off

Wouldn't that be great!
We could use it to bomb Brussels ;) Seriously though you can’t beat the sound of a few Rolls Royce Merlin engines.
some time ago, 1982, we were in an uncle's caravan at Rhosneigor, Anglesey. directly under the flight path for RAF Valley. arounf 7.00am one morning the caravan started to shake and it sounded like prolonged thunder roll. jumping out the door, stark bollox naked, in tine to see the underside of a Vulcan taking off on full power, about 200 ft. above. by the time i'd grabbed camera, just managed to get a tail shot with the black smoke trail almost blotting the Vulcan out. think it was on it's way to support the Falklands effort.
If you read the book about the Vulcan that dropped the bomb on the runway a Port Stanley they state that during preparation they had to reinstate air to air refuling pipework and valves. There were no spares available but someone remembered that one part was being used as an ash tray in the mess room at RAF Valley. Perhaps you witnessed it being collected?

@ fatalan. that pic would be a Hurricane if I'm not mistaken

Someone has a Spitfire near us I think it is based at Sywell and it is often darting about looping around, sounds fantastic.

maybe the size of his shed is a determining factor.

View attachment 43490
We could use it to bomb Brussels ;) Seriously though you can’t beat the sound of a few Rolls Royce Merlin engines.

If you read the book about the Vulcan that dropped the bomb on the runway a Port Stanley they state that during preparation they had to reinstate air to air refuling pipework and valves. There were no spares available but someone remembered that one part was being used as an ash tray in the mess room at RAF Valley. Perhaps you witnessed it being collected?
The story about scrambling around for bits for the vulcan raids is true, they also had machines fabricating little obscure bits around the clock. They took the existing bit into the factory measured it and milled a new one identical. One of my civvy instructors at RAF Cosford helped prepare the munitions and when he left the services stayed on as a civvy instructor. it was his claim to fame as it were, They were not certain the mission would succeed and nearly messed up the refuelling. the 6th out of seven blackbuck raids was a near disaster they had to divert to brazil and barely had enough to land and the UK had to bribe them to release the vulcan and crew in exchange for aircraft spares as Brazil needed some badly. We also had some new fancy missiles on the vulcan courtesy of the americans which caused a bit of a hoohah. Which i believe the brazilians kept and handed back to the americans.

A few years back I did a charity run in the Lotus Roundel Run, met a guy and his wife at Biggin Hill which was the end of the run in a nice Merc AMG and I believe he worked on the Vulcans and then moved further up the ladder, interesting chat.

Reply to de Havilland Mosquito - l would love to see and hear one of these overhead in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net