Discuss Dead test fail? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ryan77

-
Reaction score
Evening all ,
Called out to short circuit on cooker circuit assumed that cupboard fitted above isolater switch screwed through cable , disconnected at switch then dead tested back to board
Continuity l- cpc .22
l-n .16
n-cpc .22
Ir test l-n 999
l- cpc 999
n-cpc 999
All passed yet still shorted out any ideas plan to replace whole cable.

If the cable has tested out okay, why not test the appliance with all parts of the cooker switched on.

If the cable has tested out okay, why not test the appliance with all parts of the cooker switched on.
The circuit tested ok ,reconnected at isolater switch left switch turned off turned circuit back on mcb tripped cooker turned off .Is it possible that ir test passed yet cable still pierced by screw ?

I would have thought the IR test would have shown any screw through the cable. There is nothing shorting within the isolator when you screw it back is there. Why don't you redo the IR test with the isolator connected.

I would have thought the IR test would have shown any screw through the cable. There is nothing shorting within the isolator when you screw it back is there. Why don't you redo the IR test with the isolator connected.
I thought IR test should have picked it up most confused that it did not , left cable free to air just choc blocks not connected at all thinking isolater problem still tripped mcb . must be cable pierced a fraction ?

Why have you decided the fault lies with this cable, there is more to the circuit than the cable to the isolator. Test it all.

Why have you decided the fault lies with this cable, there is more to the circuit than the cable to the isolator. Test it all.
What voltage did you do the IR testing at?
240 and 500 volts
What voltage did you do the IR testing at?
IR test at 240 500 volts , New cupboard fitted above isolater switch led me to think cable damaged from isolater back to board .

Evening all ,
Called out to short circuit on cooker circuit assumed that cupboard fitted above isolater switch screwed through cable , disconnected at switch then dead tested back to board
Continuity l- cpc .22
l-n .16
n-cpc .22
Ir test l-n 999
l- cpc 999
n-cpc 999
All passed yet still shorted out any ideas plan to replace whole cable.
Disconnect at the cooker itself and the board leave cpc connected to earth bar and test again at 500v

still think you may be correct in assuming a screw in cable. i once had a short on a socket RFC L -E caused by nicked L shorting to back box. MCB tripping but showed clear on 500V IR test.

Reply to Dead test fail? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net