Discuss Dedicated circuit for boiler in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Newman

Hi everybody
Could someone clarify for me please what section / regs of BS7671 ( or if any other building regs etc) states that we should run a dedicated circuit to boilers OR what is the reason behind it. Appendix 15 of BS7671 states immersion heater/space heater and loads of similar profile should not be supplied from ring. Is that answer of my question?????????? I just wondering if u got a seperate ring for kitchen then whats the problem having a fused spur (its 3 Amp only) from ring for a combi .
Thanks.

nothing in the regs. says boilers ( as in central heating, gas /oil boilers ) should be on a separate circuit. off a RFC or even a radial is fine.

You don't need a dedicated circuit but it can be handy in some circumstances e.g. I sometimes do it on new builds to allow the heating to be fired up without having to screw kitchen sockets back etc

Central heating almost always needs fused down at FCU to 3A, so its loading isn't similar to that of an immersion heater anyway. No issues with taking it off a ring.

When I rewire or on any new build I always wire the boiler on its own circuit. I have had 2 faults over the years where the pcb on the boiler has tripped the RCD on the ring main and where the fault was on he ring and so no boiler for a few hours, i think its easier to keep it seperate.After 2014 all new boilers will be electric anyway and will have a plug top like on the continent.

When I rewire or on any new build I always wire the boiler on its own circuit. I have had 2 faults over the years where the pcb on the boiler has tripped the RCD on the ring main and where the fault was on he ring and so no boiler for a few hours, i think its easier to keep it seperate.After 2014 all new boilers will be electric anyway and will have a plug top like on the continent.

Are you saying that Gas Boilers will not be used after 2014?

If that is so gas boiler manufacturers and gas engineers will not be to happy.

Yep tis true, all new builds from 2014 can not have gas central heating or hot water. Must be electrically supplied. I was down on a large site in Daventry and they are already installing these electric boilers. In Spain and France you can pick them up from your local diy shop, connect them up with fast fit plumbing And just plug them in to the nearest socket.Times are changing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep tis true, all new builds from 2014 can not have gas central heating or hot water. Must be electrically supplied. I was down on a large site in Daventry and they are already installing these electric boilers. In Spain and France you can pick them up from your local diy shop, connect them up with fast fit plumbing And just plug them in to the nearest socket.Times are changing.

Got to be a wind-up. You'll never get enough power out of a 13A socket to power any sort of central heating system.

Reply to Dedicated circuit for boiler in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net