• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss deemed works not acceptable in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,
Last year I had a double socket (1) put in my room which was spurred off the ring main by a registered electrician.

This year, another company : -
i) installed two double sockets (2) and (3) either side of (1) and made the connection with flex wire
ii) left the blue and brown wires exposed under the new casing to (1) (he exposed the wires to the old cable that comes up through the floor )
iii) both flex cable was buried behind new skirting
iv) no certificate was left signed by reg'd electrician

I've deemed the work unacceptable but really want to learn where in the Regs it states it definitely is. Have had various electricians give their opinion but all very different and that's very worrying in deed. Still waiting for the certificate. Some say i) is ok with a cert, some say none of it ok. Thank you for your time reading this.

thanks for your response.
Where's does it say it isn't compliant to take two sockets off the existing socket?
is it ok to use flex?
should I have a certificate signed by registered person?

ive paid a 33% deposit

thanks for your response.
Where's does it say it isn't compliant to take two sockets off the existing socket?
BS7671 (The Wiring Regulations)
If the socket that he connected to is truly a SPUR from a RING FINAL circuit, and no other current limiting device is in play (eg a 13A FCU). Then this configuration is a spur from a spur is not permitted.
is it ok to use flex?
Yes, providing it is the same CSA as the other wiring in the circuit.
should I have a certificate signed by registered person?

ive paid a 33% deposit
All electrical works should carry an installation certificate.
In this case you should receive a Minor Works Certificate.
This can be done by the person who installs and tests the work. He/she does not need to be a registered electrician, but should be competent.

i) using flex is allowed.
ii) leaving the blue and brown cores exposed outside of an enclosure is not allowed.
iii) concealing the cable behind the skirting is not allowed.
The cable cen come up vertically through the floor, behind the skirting to a socket or switch, but the cable cannot drop down out of the socket to the skirting board, then run horizontally behind the skirting board and up vertically to the next socket.

The work is not complete until a certificate has been issued.

I would say from your discription that the job has not been done correctly , may be unsafe and would recommend you do not use these new sockets , Most electricians would not use flex to extend a socket circuit in a domestic environment , which is a red flag for me that the guy who did the work is not competent

BS7671 (The Wiring Regulations)
If the socket that he connected to is truly a SPUR from a RING FINAL circuit, and no other current limiting device is in play (eg a 13A FCU). Then this configuration is a spur from a spur is not permitted.

Yes, providing it is the same CSA as the other wiring in the circuit.

All electrical works should carry an installation certificate.
In this case you should receive a Minor Works Certificate.
This can be done by the person who installs and tests the work. He/she does not need to be a registered electrician, but should be competent.

It is if the spur is wired in 4mm.

Surely that depends on the OCPD, Volt drop, Zs is satisfactory etc

Some things are so obvious they are a given. It is not my fault if you are unable to keep up.

Please don’t take this the wrong way but you will probably benefit a lot from the trainee section. If you PM a Mod they can give you access.

If I recall correctly, spurs are limited to 20A max so the junction to the ring can't be "point overloaded". So 1 outlet or multiple after a fuse unit.

I can feel the love and joy overflowing in this thread..

Lollipop:
OCPD ----O

Inverse lollipop:
OCPD O----

Kebab:
OCPD ----O----

Maybe we can just carry on...?

????
OCPD ----O----O---- ...
:)

Reply to deemed works not acceptable in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back