Discuss Deep fat fryer causing electric to trip in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

damunk

-
Reaction score
I have a Tefal 1000 deep fat fryer. It is the first time I have used it. Was given as new a few years ago.

I used the same outlet as I use for the kettle 2200w and a microwave 700w.

The Tefal was on for around 30 seconds and it tripped the RCD in the house electric.

Kettle works fine and also microwave in that plug socket.

I cannot find manual for this fryer. It takes around 2 litres of oil. Do not understand what is going wrong. Can these things really take up to 3000w?

If it's causing the RCD to trip, then you have a fault L or N to earth on the fryer, probably being caused by the element heating up and causing the fault, as you say it works for about 30 seconds, that would be my guess, remedy: either get it repaired or get a replacement.

Stored in parents kitchen for a year. Then from there taken into my kitchen.
My mum said she used it once or twice but then went back to gas frying.

Blimey gas frying! recipe for disaster if you are prone to getting distracted. I can remember my mum having the old chip pan full of dripping for the chips, fantastic.
I like a nice Onion Bhaji in the fryer myself.

Blimey gas frying! recipe for disaster if you are prone to getting distracted. I can remember my mum having the old chip pan full of dripping for the chips, fantastic.
I like a nice Onion Bhaji in the fryer myself.
Bought my Mrs a deep fat fryer, she has gone back to Gas, better chips, better everything fried imo.

You could get it PAT tested it might highlight the problem/repair. However an actuarial calculation might indicate the cost of a new fryer is less than fixing it.

Bought my Mrs a deep fat fryer, she has gone back to Gas, better chips, better kitchen fire, .

corrected for you. set a chip pan on fire, it's scary. i know been there, done that, got the wet towel. massive smoke damage to kitchen. luckily the heat alarm activated and i got it just in time to avoid a total disaster.

My mum's very old plug-in electric frying pan had been stored for a few years and it tripped the RCD when plugged-in.
Rather than throw it away I placed an electric iron inside the frying pan and warmed the whole thing up for about 15 minutes. This was to drive any moisture out of the element.
Afterward I plugged in the frying pan and it worked fine. Has worked for years since.

An alternative would be to stick the suspect appliance outside in the sun all day. Cover with a black plastic bag to make it get extra hot.

I was once asked to replace a cord on a pie oven which had been busted for a year. I did so and tested the oven. On startup it was leaking 250mA to earth. However once warmed up this dropped to almost nothing.

That style of element can leak current if it has been unused for a long time and absorbed moisture. The problem can go away if the element is heated and the moisture driven out.

An alternative would be to stick the suspect appliance outside in the sun all day. Cover with a black plastic bag to make it get extra hot.

Whilst this will probably work fine in your country where you have good honest hard working sun, we sadly only have the British equivalent which rarely puts in a full day's work, if it even bothers to show up at all.

Reply to Deep fat fryer causing electric to trip in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net