Discuss Demonstration of an AFDD by wylex in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Saw this on youtube part of the GSH channel. Probably the best video to demonstrate an AFDD in use I have seen as of yet, It is a Wylex one and no doubt pricey, i could see the time in a few years where the AFDD and rcbo will all be incorporated into 2 modules and each circuit protected by one of the combined devices.

I'm still struggling to understand how, if these are added to the big book, we are expected to justify them in domestic properties .......... a CU change for much over £450 is enough for most home owners

Whereas I can completely see the reasoning in larger, commercial and industrial sites ............

As he said in the video, if you have a multi million pound building such as a high rise, hospital or university then you could justify the expense. in a domestic setting such a single house I can't currently see the price being justified at present, I think that is in part why we have not been made to fit them as a mandatory requirement. They know if they had stipulated that the industry would grind to a halt, people couldnt afford to have any work done. the only people working would be bodge job dave from the pub. there is also not currently sufficient supply of afdd's to meet demand if they were mandatory at this stage.

What’s that going into the side of the trunking on the right? Haven’t seen that sort of containment before? Are they plugs? Those ABB board are a pain to work on.

Should we be getting these sorts of faults? if the cable is manufactured and installed correctly and connections are tight and sound.

---- happens anthony. I'm led to believe that AFDD's will also detect such faults in appliances, I'm thinking of Grenfell Tower?

That said, I agree with Murdoch, cant see domestic customer wanting to pay for the extra cost, however good the safety increase it might make. And there's the nuisance tripping.

You have to look at the difference in wiring practices between the US and the UK. Wrap around terminals are commonplace as are push in terminals, and then there are the fire wire nuts.

The voltages used also play a major role. 230V maybe more capable of generating a parallel arc but as the current is lower for a given load a series arc is less likely.

Testing an installation is normal practice this side of the pond, the yanks however “work to code” no need to test. Switch on, no smoke, it’s good to go.

On the subject of testing, we can test a RCD and give definitive results, how are AFDD’s to be tested? Pressing the test button isn’t my idea of a test method.

On the subject of testing, we can test a RCD and give definitive results, how are AFDD’s to be tested? Pressing the test button isn’t my idea of a test method.

I'm sure the MFT manufacturers are rubbing their hands together, as their R&D depts race to be first to announce a new 18th Ed. tester with series & parallel arc fault simulation.

The only way I can think of testing an arc device is use something like a cattle prod or taser!! the cattle prods on ebay for less than 20 quid would do the trick, something much like that in an enclosure with a connectors for your leads to connect to and then back to the arc device in the Consumer Unit, press a button and in theory would trigger the device..
The kewtech proving units work much in the same way as the stun guns, they store a determined charge and voltage. could readily be adapted to generate an arc inside.

AFDD's are coming in to try and eliminate the absolutely rubbish domestic appliances that are being sold, which are barely compliant if compliant.
The trouble is the appliance manufacturers are too powerful to tackle, and the fault is being placed on the electrical industry, not the appliance industry, ergo, the electrical industry has to solve it.
The manufacturers that sit on JPEL saw a way to peddle their products and jumped on it.
So, once again the public is going to be forced to pay out more so that massive global corporations can make more profit, almost all of which is siphoned tax free out of the UK economy.
It's not just the domestic install, the public purse will be hit, the costs to business will increase, thus the prices of goods will go up, and the public are the ones who have to fund all this.

ou have to look at the difference in wiring practices between the US and the UK. Wrap around terminals are commonplace as are push in terminals, and then there are the fire wire nuts.
Don't forget the widespread use of aluminium cable, which corrodes causing arcing. Something rarely used here. Which is why we do not need AFDDs here.

Top left corner of the video, cover is on upside down...

Back on topic, AFDD is an impressive bit of kit however the current cost of them and their possible associated test equipment will be prohibitive for a lot of those working in the domestic sector. As for commercial and industrial the costs will be passed onto customers via price hikes so yet again Joe Bloggs on the street is paying up.

Arc protection will help the idiots who insist on buying counterfeit items, or the manf. trying to reach an impossible price point to satisfy a market who want junk. As they say people want to pay the least they can get away with. People don’t think that cheap charger from the market is bad or could kill them, it will never happen to me attitude. People buy junk and expect it to last a lifetime that dodgy electrical cert. well it’s only for the file no one really checks them do they? Have a go sparks well he watched someone on YouTube do it that way so must be ok. People want the savings and when it all goes wrong it must be someone elses fault never their own, must be someone else to blame so they can make a claim. What a deluded world we live in what a mess. Time for a brandy.

Reply to Demonstration of an AFDD by wylex in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net