Discuss Description of IP ratings in BS 7671 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

mossep

-
Reaction score
Hi

Can someone point me to the description of IPXXB and IP2X in BS 7671. I know what they are and the requirements of each of them are, but I cannot locate the description in the Big Blue Book.

Appendix 5 on page 450 has the details of IP 0, 3, 4, 5 & 6X but not the other 2.

Cheers

Hi

Can someone point me to the description of IPXXB and IP2X in BS 7671. I know what they are and the requirements of each of them are, but I cannot locate the description in the Big Blue Book.

Appendix 5 on page 450 has the details of IP 0, 3, 4, 5 & 6X but not the other 2.

Cheers
Have a look at OSG (Blue copy) Appendix L Page 207 this may help.
Or Guidance Note 1

Hi,

They are in the On Site Guide, and probably in Guidance Note 3 as well. Im more interested in knowing if they are in BS 7671 though, for the 18th edition exam I think you are only allowed to take in the big book, so I trying to find out where this information would be found?

Hi,

They are in the On Site Guide, and probably in Guidance Note 3 as well. Im more interested in knowing if they are in BS 7671 though, for the 18th edition exam I think you are only allowed to take in the big book, so I trying to find out where this information would be found?
Try "Degree of Protection" 705. something" in the BYB don't have the 18th shouldn't be hard to find under degree of protection.

Can someone point me to the description of IPXXB and IP2X in BS 7671.
Hi - as per Pete in the Index under "degree of protection" and there's lots of references listed. The one you've asked for is 416.2.1 - I'm doing the test next week too :)

416.2.1 doesn't tell you what the requirements of IPXXB & 2x are though, unlike in the on site guide where it describes the requirements of the codes. I want to know where in the BBB it states the requirements of it, it tells you what the other IP ratings for foreign bodies are in appendix 5 but it doesn't mention these.

416.2.1 doesn't tell you what the requirements of IPXXB & 2x are though, unlike in the on site guide where it describes the requirements of the codes. I want to know where in the BBB it states the requirements of it, it tells you what the other IP ratings for foreign bodies are in appendix 5 but it doesn't mention these.
Are you doing the course or just the exam?

Im not doing either at the moment, I was just reading through the new book and cannot find the information anywhere and it has made want to find where it is. Im off work due to illness so boredom has set in!

I've not seen the IP definitions listed in BBB either. They will be detailed in their own standard (BS60529), I think.

Hi

Cheers
IPXXB Access of a finger is not possible 207 OSG
IP 2X Penetration by a solid object->12.5mm in diameter shal not be possible, same page

You won't find a description of IP (International Protection) ratings within BS 7671 as they come under BS EN 60529:1989.

I've not seen the IP definitions listed in BBB either. They will be detailed in their own standard (BS60529), I think.

In appendix 5, page 450 & 451 it does give definitions of every IP rating regarding water, and IP ratings 0X, 3X, 4X, 5X, 6X for foreign objects. Just seems strange that it doesn't define IP XXB & IP2X anywhere in the appendix. Looks to me like they have forgotten to include it.

Reply to Description of IP ratings in BS 7671 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net