Discuss Designing Recess LED lighting for Kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am an electrician, profiles says DIY
Seeking advice from those that install LED lighting. Kitchen is 3.7m x 3.4m. Basically 2 x worktop areas either side of the kitchen (3.4m walls). I've read here that most recommend Led lights sited 1m from walls. With my limited knowledge, I'm thinking 3 rows of 3. Is this overkill? Would 3 watt LEDs be sufficient or possibly 7 watt?
At the moment 1 x 4ft fluorescent in use, which appears to be adequate.
Thanks

3 rows of 3, minisun 5watt GU10s.plenty. plan the 2 outer rows to throw light on the worktops, clear of the wall cupboards by about 6".

I'd go with 2 rows of 3 and 5-7w lamps, check the lumen output as some are very low compared to others,

Bell Gu10 lamps I think are 330 or 350 lumens each. I use them as they are reliable as well as bright.

plan you lighting on a piece of paper .before you start drilling holes in the ceiling .
I would go for 7watt .
I'm first fixing.........I pulled down the ceiling last week.
I was thinking of using LED recessed fire retardant fittings.
Would it not be better to use sealed light fittings? I don't want fittings that give off a lot of heat.
Thanks

If you've got the ceiling down I would consider splitting the lights across 2 switches.....

1m from the walls is too far in a kitchen

Your house or a clients?

6 lights will be plenty just see what works with your joist spacings. I usually go 700mm from walls when over worktops and 1200mm apart or as near as poss to that. some downlights like the JCC hybrid 9 are okay up to 1.8m apart and they do give a good light and coverage but are a bit expensive, If your on a budget then go for a jcc twist and lock GU10 downlight which can be had for £5ea and are push fit terms so literally take 2 minutes each to second fix.... then fit a good quality GU10 LED bulb such as a megaman.

If you've got the ceiling down I would consider splitting the lights across 2 switches.....

1m from the walls is too far in a kitchen

Your house or a clients?
Friends house, busman's holiday. I was advised about 700mm would be better. Makes sense to light up worktop areas. So, if I put lights 700mm from each wall, that would leave approx. 3700mm - 1400mm = 2300mm between the rows. Would a middle row be required to even the light out?

Reply to Designing Recess LED lighting for Kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net