Discuss Desperate help needed - Suntech panel in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

keefy

Would you believe it! Just fitting a job booked in well before the chaos, 1 Panel smashed!

I am in desperate need of a 250watt Suntech STP panel to complete it.

The system is a 4kWp and I am not sure whether I can fit a lower wattage panel just to 'get it going' as the usual suppliers have got no chance.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

PS - FOR SALE:

1 Suntech STP 250, slight damage, 1 careless owner!

Keefy - i would think you can commission the system and sign it off to be honest. As long as you add the other panel as soon you can. Imagine there was a damaged panel in Jan - customer fit not going to drop just cause it needed to be changed. Same with the inverter.

It might be bending the ruls i don't know, but as long as you are doing everything safely and honestly you can be responsible for accidents. We've had panels broken before and we have commisioned systems and gone back as soon as replacements were available and added them to the frame. No big deal just going to underperform while you source the panel.

Don't mix panels that would be highly risky.

Try Alternergy. Got their latest price list through yesterday and they are listing Suntech 250W without the usual "limited availability" clause - perhaps they've managed to get hold of some at last?

I tried Alternergy but no go! I have tried everywhere but the panels I had were the last in the country!

I have managed to get a Suntech 245 (Ihave been told this will be OK by supplier) which will pretend it is a 250 over the next few weeks until I get chance to get a replacement.

And of course it broke just after commissioning.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say "OK", it won't harm the system but surely this will bring down the whole system? The 245w panel will effectively limit the current of all the panels and the MPP tracker will focus on this.

When you say "OK", it won't harm the system but surely this will bring down the whole system? The 245w panel will effectively limit the current of all the panels and the MPP tracker will focus on this.

All completed today, tested and no difference in the performance between the 2 strings. If it did loose anything on power I could not find it.

One for experience I think.

Reply to Desperate help needed - Suntech panel in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net