Discuss Detectors and testers worth buying? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm starting to do a bit of DIY in our house - initially just replacing light fittings but am keen to do more and am looking for tools to check that the area I want to work on is safe.

As this is just for DIY I don't want to spend a fortune but want stuff that's safe and good enough for domestic use.

I've been looking at a voltage detector (e.g. Fluke T90 or Kewtech 1780) and a wall scanner (e.g. Bosch GMS 120) but it's not clear from the reviews whether they're worth it as the reviewers maybe tradesmen/professionals working in more demanding environments and better served by spending much more.

Would these tools be good for a DIYer in a domestic setting or are they no better than the cheaper consumer versions (such as the Bosch Truvo wall detector or a non-contact voltage detector)?

Thanks in advance.

the fluke T90 is an approved voltage tester as professional sparks use. used in conjunction with a non-contact volt stick, great for DIY. as for wall scanners, they are all a bit hit and miss. a rogue nail in a wall can make you think there is a pipe or cable there.

Fluke is a pretty good make.
Be careful though, as some of their voltage testers have been recalled.
I have both a Fluke voltage/continuity tester and a couple of Fluke non-contact voltage testers (one for work and one for home).
I also have a Fluke Multimeter, which I keep at home, though I have in the past taken to work.
Never used a wall scanner.

Never rely on a non-contact voltage to tester for safe isolation, always use an approved voltage indicator and follow the correct safe isolation procedure.
Failure to correctly isolate could cost you your life.

The fluke t-90 would be a good buy. Look up safe isolation procedure so you know how it should be used. HSE website or electrical safty first website should have something.
Don't get a non contact tester, they are prone to error and false readings.

Thanks for the replies. I'd seen that the Fluke T110 had recently been recalled and so wasn't sure if it's a one-off issue with that model or indicative of the cheaper end of voltage testers.

only in the right hands that it is safe .;) sorry for being a bit harsh .

No problem - I've already read enough posts on here to appreciate why it's worth repeating the warning.

The fluke t-90 would be a good buy. Look up safe isolation procedure so you know how it should be used. HSE website or electrical safty first website should have something.
Don't get a non contact tester, they are prone to error and false readings.

Thanks for the pointers - I'm definitely planning on ensuring that I've done sufficient reading/learning before doing anything. I'm confident of knowing my limits and when to call in a pro but think with a safety first and careful approach I'm competent to do the DIY jobs.

a non contact tester has it's uses as a quick check, but as Andy78 says, they can pick up stray voltages making you think something is live when it's not, and if batteries are low, they can indicate dead when it's live. also they only detect the L of a cable/fitting.they can't tell if a N is present or not. when using one to test a flex cable, they light in 1 area and not another, due to the twisting of the cores in flex. as i said, a useful indicator, but not to be relied on to prove dead.

Also worth noting that any alterations to circuits need to comply with the wiring regulations, be tested on completion, and some work needs notifying to building control.
Not sure of the extent of your DIY intentions.

I would imagine that there could well be a few Fluke voltage testers being sold on places like ebay. I had a T110 which developed the fault out of warranty which I replaced with another T110. When the recall happened I sent off my new one plus the faulty one which I still had so I am expecting two new ones to be returned and I only have need for one of them

I would imagine that there could well be a few Fluke voltage testers being sold on places like ebay. I had a T110 which developed the fault out of warranty which I replaced with another T110. When the recall happened I sent off my new one plus the faulty one which I still had so I am expecting two new ones to be returned and I only have need for one of them

I had thought that this may be the case but thought that with safety equipment it was worth buying new from a reputable seller so that I know it's genuine and covered by warranty etc.

Can't really argue against that but if someone is offering a brand new boxed item with a plausible reason for sale and is prepared to give the serial number so that it can be traced back to Fluke then that would go a very long way to reassuring me

I just have this nagging feeling that this is not quite right. While I applaud your approach to DIY and electrics there is more to it than getting a tester. I think you could easily lull yourself into a sense of false security. One, your need experience and training to use the voltage tester in a way that will ensure you are safe, you can't just wing it. Also you are getting into a bit of a minefield with electrics especially "wanting to do more" It is not just a matter of putting brown to brown and blue to blue or red to red and black to black. You need to understand the circuit and loading and methods of various installation techniques. Most importantly you need to test before and after commissioning your work. For that you need a multi function tester costing circa 1k and know how to use it. Now I know you may think I am a party pooper but you do give me cause for concern you may stray into deeper waters than you know.

the fluke T90 is an approved voltage tester as professional sparks use. used in conjunction with a non-contact volt stick, great for DIY. as for wall scanners, they are all a bit hit and miss. a rogue nail in a wall can make you think there is a pipe or cable there.
I agree wholeheartedly with @Vortigern there are many many many things that have to be right and complied with for a circuit to work correctly and safely as well as disconnect Timeously in the event of a fault, be wary of doing more.... but I applaud you for your efforts to keep safe the T90 will be fine for changing lights and socket faces.
Get yourself a proving unit and learn how to use it never assume everything is dead just because you’ve tested one thing either. https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100370766/Best-Practice-Guide-2-Issue-3-.pdf

Please don’t think though that you can start altering circuits, running in new circuits and rewiring your house after you become familiar. I’m not trying to patronise just looking out for your safety and the safety of others around you particularly the people in the house you are working. It takes 4 years to become a spark and with good reason. Electricity is bloody dangerous!

Last edited:
Appreciate the warnings and input/pointers guys :)
I genuinely have neither the time nor inclination to do any more than replace light fittings and certainly nothing that would require notification, inspection or commission.

I didn't like it when my dad got me to check 9v batteries on my tongue when I was 7 or 8 years old and so just want to undertake DIY jobs whilst taking the recommended safety precautions.

I'll look at a proving unit for performing live-dead-live checks and get a couple of MCB lockout kits as well as doing plenty of reading before doing anything.

I'm also wanting to hang pictures and potentially run speaker/data cables in the wall - hence also looking for a reasonable wall detector / scanner.

Reply to Detectors and testers worth buying? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock