Discuss dicon smoke alarms: PROBLEMS!!! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Khan

-
Reaction score
hi all, was asked to do 2nd fix on a loft conversion for a builder. the builder had done the 1st fix, so before all the work i had checked the cables and the quality of the work tested each circuit it seemed in good order. There are 3 dicon smoke alarms in the property which the builder supplied there all interlinked correctly using 1.5mm 3 core twin and earth cable. On the day of 2nd fix the builder was using a wallpaper remover steamer so it kept setting of the smoke alarms so disconnected them and left them there when after a week got phone call to say they do not go off, went had a local discovered downstairs smoke alarm faulty so asked him to replace it, so he did and changed it just plugged it in as they are with battery connected correctly, when the same day got phone call not going off went down checked wiring fine voltage fine no smoke no heat nothing even took out the interlink cable but let live and neutral go through and after 10 minutes still kept going off the set again then goes off again what could it be any help? cheers

The problem, more than likely, is they are not Aico

Possibly the moisture has caused the alarm to fry the electronics, and the trigger wire has helped it fry the remote alarms

i know chap i always use aico myself but the builder had supplied all materials, but however i dont think the moisture is such high that it can fry 2 smoke alarms. i know what you are saying the other 2 are perfect working as they should be but this one given problems i was thinking stress on cable but then again it would blow the fuse or rcd

Just changed a faulty AICO last night and it was a bitch to find because it was wired with 4 other Aico and one dicon so on that note anybody else had this problem ?

if you could give me his email please that might be a help even tho there not the same make but see what we can do because its driving me crazy and got my money stuck, cheers for that comment mate

The Dicon 600 series have a pause feature, which sounds like the sysmtoms you are experiencing...there a pain, if you use the test button to test the system goes into pause mode for 30 minutes. Pause feature is used to combat false alarms. I know manufactures don`t like smoke spray, but is the best way to test any smoke detector....hope this helps

also what ever smoke alarms i install aico and dicon both all smokes i always use the test button never seem to be a problem ever, just tests and goes off no problem at all

Dicon smokes will time out, you have to wait the pause duration. Aico smoke dectectors dont have the pause feature on their smokes. when using test button hold down firmly until alarm sounds, any release will put the smoke into pause. This is just thaught to your problem and may not be the answer, But hopefully gives you another faut to iliminate.

Remember Aico does a self test 20 minutes after you initiate a manual test I had this with a tenant who said there was a problem so he thought pushing the manual test would sort this

Reply to dicon smoke alarms: PROBLEMS!!! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net