Discuss Did I hire a cowboy? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Binnygreen

Hi, hoping somebody can help.
We put off having our house re-wired for various reasons, finally after 9 years we were in a position to have the work done. We got three quotes and went with the electrician we felt we preferred.
We were told it would take 4 days to do the re-wire and a plasterer would attend on the Friday to finish the job.

We decided to go on holiday and the electrician said the work would be done a day faster.

I got an email 3 days in to say the plasterer was working on the house that day, we assumed the work would be finished when we returned home. We arrived home Thursday 5pm to what looked like a bomb site! Two electricians were fixing sockets and cleaning up, the plasterer had half done the job (working til 1am in the morning our disgruntled neighbour informed us - it's a terraced house) and gone on holiday!!! The business owner had also gone away (with the plasterer).

We went out and returned an hour later to a slightly tidier house with sockets and light switches still hanging off the walls, the electricians were due back Friday but didn't turn up.

We contacted the business owner to advise we weren't happy and he arranged for a plumber to visit to repair a leak they created when installing a new shower, he said the plasterer would be back Monday to finish off and he would be in touch.

Okay, so it's now Sunday, and we've spent 2 days tidying and have the following issues:

All carpets have got 'bits' underneath - rubble, cables, screws etc so were having to pull them all back and clean up - is this normal? I would have expected the electricians to put the carpets back as it was agreed they would in a state that was fit for walking on

We have several light switches/sockets hanging off the walls

The heaters they agreed to install haven't been done correctly and they haven't used the correct fixings kits provided

Sockets aren't straight

Plasterer has ruined 2 carpets

Cutlery has gone missing and a hat that was hanging on the wall (in an area they weren't working) has gone

Lampshades have been ruined

Shower isn't working correctly

The electrician is registered with Elesca but the two lads who have been working on the house aren't, does this matter?

I don't want the plasterer coming back and creating more mess, obviously we had to unpack our furniture (thankfully we shrink wrapped everything). I don't think it's acceptable for him to disappear on holiday half way through our work causing us double the distruption and I'm not planning on paying him. Am I being reasonable?

I also want to reduce the price agreed for the re-wire due to above mentioned issues, is this reasonable?

I'm going to buy a new cutlery set and hat and deduct this from the bill, along with the cost of a new carpet.

I'm also concerned that the job might not have been done properly? Any advice?

Thanks

Certainly looks like he was a bit of a bodge artist, have you paid any monies yet? any certificates issued by the Electrician? If I were in your shoes I would be contacting the local Trading standards, Elecsa, and withhold any monies still owing, don't know if this next bit is advisable but try the Local Building Control, without actually eyeballing the job, it's difficult to make an accurate judgement, but from your description it looks like a nightmare, good luck, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks Pete999, he hasn't had any money yet. I spoke to citizens advise on Friday about a couple of the they are reporting him to trading standards as he didn't give us anything in writing (despite my requests) so he's broken the law. I just wasn't sure if I was being unreasonable and expecting too much.

I'll let you know how it goes.

sounds like a nightmare. 1 point you made about sockets and switches hanging off, i understand as these are usually left off untill the final plastering finish has been completed. however, esp . if you have children/pets, these should not have been energised until properly fixed. i hope you have taken photos of all damage and mess left under carpets etc. this will be of immense help to your case if it ever comes to court. hope you manage to get this issue resolved. if you make a formal complaint to elecsa, they will hopefully act on it and help you to get this sorted. you will need to provide them with the electrician's details. he will have a membership number .

Thanks Pete999, he hasn't had any money yet. I spoke to citizens advise on Friday about a couple of the they are reporting him to trading standards as he didn't give us anything in writing (despite my requests) so he's broken the law. I just wasn't sure if I was being unreasonable and expecting too much.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Get in touch with ELECSA ASAP and report your concerns to them, did the electricians mention anything to you about notifying Building control about the works? sounds like that's a no, I have been out of the loop as far as Domestic works, so my comments may not be the best advice, one of the Guys who are still working on Domestics will be able to offer better advice, BUT I would certainly get hold of someone at ELECSA, if you are not sure who or what ELECSA are they are one of the Competent Persons schemes, such as NICEIC, NAPIT, STROMA, see what other Guys have to say when they come on line.

moanin, pete. after coffee and befoere red?

From what you describe there are certainly shortcomings on the part of the contractor. It is not normal to leave a site in a poor state for the client, at least not on my watch. I am sure most contractors would agree with this. If carpets were ruined I would fully expect to be paying out for carpets for the client. Personally I would rather lose £1000 off the price than leave a customer unhappy, and telling others damaging things about me.
Is he Trustmark ? if so they have an ADR process available after you have exhausted the complaints route. i.e. with the Contractor first-His CPS scheme then finally Trustmark. Did you get a contract/complaints procedure ? I guess not. Otherwise take photos, and if you cant negotiate with the contractor, take it up with ELECSA.
As to whether the work is safe...Have your received an Electrical Installation Certificate the contractor must have written this prior to commisioning the installation. I mean switched on the power on the new wiring.

Pete you get 20 days to notify Elecsa after the installation is completed.

Attachments

• Notifiable-Work-in-England-2013.pdf
    77.9 KB · Views: 8
From what you describe there are certainly shortcomings on the part of the contractor. It is not normal to leave a site in a poor state for the client, at least not on my watch. I am sure most contractors would agree with this. If carpets were ruined I would fully expect to be paying out for carpets for the client. Personally I would rather lose £1000 off the price than leave a customer unhappy, and telling others damaging things about me.
Is he Trustmark ? if so they have an ADR process available after you have exhausted the complaints route. i.e. with the Contractor first-His CPS scheme then finally Trustmark. Did you get a contract/complaints procedure ? I guess not. Otherwise take photos, and if you cant negotiate with the contractor, take it up with ELECSA.
As to whether the work is safe...Have your received an Electrical Installation Certificate the contractor must have written this prior to commisioning the installation. I mean switched on the power on the new wiring.

Thanks for your reply, we haven't received anything yet, I assume it's because the business owner disappeared off on holiday half way through the job! Luckily we don't have children, we couldn't have had them in the house the way some of the sockets are. Some of the plastering is actually okay, I guess as he got more tired his work got worse, our neighbour told us he was working in our bedroom at midnight, she could hear him - this is one of the worst rooms, apart from those he hasn't touched. I think I'll contact Elesca first think tomorrow. I've arranged for an engineer to come and look at the shower, if it's an instillation issue that cost will also come off the bill, needless to say I won't be paying anything until we're satisfied.

Even though I can understand your frustration, don't go in all guns blazing At first, get him round and point out your issues with his companys work. As for going on holiday he could have had it booked for 12 months, When you run your own business you are always going to go away while you have a job going unless there's no work on so that's not really his fault but however if he can't rely on his staff then he has got a serious problem.
It could be that he has used a couple of subbies that don't care, but he could have employed them in good faith.
I'm feeling in a very calm and forgiving mood this morning, so give him a chance to put everything right first and if he refuses or acts like an idiot then set the Dogs on him!!

Hi, i think some of the advice saying you should immediatly jump on the phone to trading standards is poor, that would be a sure way to annoy or ruffle the feathers of a contractor, it sounds like the main contractor has not been on the job, speak with BEFORE you take any further action, as you said you went with him as you belived hin to be your most prefered, give him a chance to put things right. Compile a list of points you are not happy with and what would resolve each issue, do you reallyneed a long drawn out battle in your life, i wish you all the best and hope you come too an ammicable solution.

I'm not sure if this is true or what; but apparently if you withhold monies and he takes you to court he wins automatically. You're meant to pay him, and then take him to court for repair costs.

Had a homeowner stung by this by a dodgy tiler on our tile forum.

Check with somebody before you withhold cash.

Yes - withholding monies needs a planned approach as it can backfire. Is there a contract with staged payments? That may be helpful. Either way, in my view it is best to be calm and polite (and persistent) to explain to Mr Contractor why the job is not yet complete. Your aim is to keep him engaged and positively motivated to finish the job properly. Hopefully he will not ask for full and final payment yet.

According to citizens advise, because he didn't give us anything in writing, our 14 day cooling off period has been extended to 12 months and 14 days under the new consumer rights act. They advised me not to pay him and said I'm within my rights to tell him we have changed our minds and no longer want to proceed, it would then be in the hands of the judge to decide if he took us to court.
Obviously our main priority is to have safe electrics and be able to redecorate the house. I'll see what tomorrow brings and hope that he gets in touch. Since my original post we have discovered more issues, one of them being that the floor boards in every area they worked have been literally ripped up, they are all torn and shattered, some have huge holes in!! I'm remembering why we put the job off for so long now!

Did I hire a cowboy? ima - EletriciansForums.net

According to citizens advise, because he didn't give us anything in writing, our 14 day cooling off period has been extended to 12 months and 14 days under the new consumer rights act. They advised me not to pay him and said I'm within my rights to tell him we have changed our minds and no longer want to proceed, it would then be in the hands of the judge to decide if he took us to court.
Obviously our main priority is to have safe electrics and be able to redecorate the house. I'll see what tomorrow brings and hope that he gets in touch. Since my original post we have discovered more issues, one of them being that the floor boards in every area they worked have been literally ripped up, they are all torn and shattered, some have huge holes in!! I'm remembering why we put the job off for so long now!

View attachment 33431
To be honest, busted floor boards is a common occurrence nothing a visit to B&Q couldn't solve, although he should have repaired them, imo

Do NOT withhold payment. Make a "token" payment, to cover some materials or something. Withholding is the worst thing you can do. By doing a token payment they cannot start any proceedings for non payment. If you get any correspondence reply to each and every one, even if it's just to acknowledge it and state you are getting help with the matter.
First step of any complaint is to give the contractor a chance to rectify the problems. But have before and after photos incase it's not to your standard. It may very well be that the contractor left someone he trusted in charge while they were on holiday, and that the trust was misplaced.
I don't know much about the procedure for this exactly, but I have a gambling addict in my immediate family and am familiar with complaints/debt collectors.
Have you looked to see if your home insurance has legal cover? Could be an idea to talk to them

Have you heard from the contractor? That's the ONLY place to start in my opinion, and I'm pretty sure ELECSA will tell you to get stuffed if you don't first raise your concerns with the contractor. As others have said, he may well be horrified when he returns and bend over backwards to help you.

According to citizens advise, because he didn't give us anything in writing, our 14 day cooling off period has been extended to 12 months and 14 days under the new consumer rights act.

I'm pretty sure this is for door-to-door sales. So if he came to give an estimate, and then you phoned him back a day later to accept the job this doesn't apply (could be wrong, been a while since I read the consumer rights etc). If he rocked up, said £3k, and you said "great, start right away" then I think that's when the cooling off period can be extended etc. Also, if you do use the "cooling off period" I think he'd be within his rights to come and rip out all his materials, and you'd probably be in for a world of pain with the mess he could potentially create.

Reply to Did I hire a cowboy? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock