Discuss Differences in panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SolarCity

-
Arms
Reaction score
Can anybody please help me out with regards to the differences between panels and their potential yield. PV Sol does a great job of giving you figures based on which panel you use but I can't work out why some 180w panels give out one return and another 180w panel gives another figure. I presume it is something to do with how they perform under different temperatures?

Isn't it the different efficiencies?? EG Sharp NU235 14.3% Sanyo 230 HIT 19% - the Sanyo will produce a greater yield because it's more efficient.

I thought this also. However, after further investigation it would appear the different efficiencies relate to W/square metre. Therefore, a Sanyo 230w panel would produce the same as a 230w Sharp panel yet will be a little smaller, thus producing greater yield per surface area. There seems to be something else going on.

isnt it to do with manufacturing?

different panels of the same size and output rating have different output tolerances, i assume this is calculated from all the different component parts such as solder wire etc, so if on manufacturer uses a better made junction box then itll be more effective, also the manufacturing process on the cells makes a difference as better cell efficiency effects the overall performance

Doesn't cell efficiency affect the efficiency of the panel in general? For example, better cell efficiency will make a 230w panel smaller than a 230w panel with lower cell efficiency?

i thought if a manufacturer can improve the efficiency of a cell year on year the cell doesnt necessarily have to get smaller, just more power in the same area?

i thought if a manufacturer can improve the efficiency of a cell year on year the cell doesnt necessarily have to get smaller, just more power in the same area?

I think that's probably correct. But this would still mean that a panel that once produced 180w would then produce 185w. But what would make a 185w panel more productive than another 185w panel from a different manufacturer?

As Robbobnbill mentioned, we noticed Schuco's tend to have an Output Tolerance of -0% to +5% whereas other manufacturers call their panels a higher Wattage and then give a -5% to +5% tolerance; perhaps PVSol takes that into account?

Last edited:

Reply to Differences in panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net