Discuss Difficult gaining experience..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It does appear that you have tried the recommended means of getting practical experience,you have forfeited a good wage as well to pursue your chosen career

It seems unfortunate that what you experienced was to become little more than a adult gofer
Personally,I think you have invested enough in your pursuit to warrant a better return than you have currently had
There are many,myself included, who bemoan the current trend of people getting qualification and practising the trade with the minimum of hands on experience,in your case it appears the experience you gained was far less than could have been hoped for
Have you thought about using agencies to fill the gap ? or perhaps even creating your own work doing smaller domestic jobs
Try getting in with a small scale industrial installation contractor,it will possibly be varied experience and a rising profile in that type of employment

It does appear that you have tried the recommended means of getting practical experience,you have forfeited a good wage as well to pursue your chosen career

It seems unfortunate that what you experienced was to become little more than a adult gofer
Personally,I think you have invested enough in your pursuit to warrant a better return than you have currently had
There are many,myself included, who bemoan the current trend of people getting qualification and practising the trade with the minimum of hands on experience,in your case it appears the experience you gained was far less than could have been hoped for
Have you thought about using agencies to fill the gap ? or perhaps even creating your own work doing smaller domestic jobs
Try getting in with a small scale industrial installation contractor,it will possibly be varied experience and a rising profile in that type of employment

Agencies are definitely a good shout to fill the voids. Will keep trying to find work with the smaller firms as well because after seeing some of the feedback on here it seems becoming a runner instead of learning is quite the norm on a lot of sites.

Have a quiet word with your employer / mentor tell him what your future goals are and ask him if he would consider teaching you more, the problem lies on industrial/ commercial installs when you have to be watched over or you are watching a qualified spark install 3 phase boards and equipment its not cost effective for the employer if you get what i mean. Everyone has to start somewhere though so maybe try an approach of when i get this cable tray / conduit installed can i oversee you working on the circuit boards. It may just work and might make your employer/ mentor realise you want to progress. Its a long road to being trusted on the job but worth it in the end. Fair play to you for retraining and dropping money to do so keep at it if you can its worth it in the end buddy.

Have a quiet word with your employer / mentor tell him what your future goals are and ask him if he would consider teaching you more, the problem lies on industrial/ commercial installs when you have to be watched over or you are watching a qualified spark install 3 phase boards and equipment its not cost effective for the employer if you get what i mean. Everyone has to start somewhere though so maybe try an approach of when i get this cable tray / conduit installed can i oversee you working on the circuit boards. It may just work and might make your employer/ mentor realise you want to progress. Its a long road to being trusted on the job but worth it in the end. Fair play to you for retraining and dropping money to do so keep at it if you can its worth it in the end buddy.

Good advice mate.
Thanks.

'Electricians mate' as a job description is just a labourer with a few extra brain cells, it's not necessarily a training position unless you are lucky or it is specifically agreed with the employer.

Don't take on a job as a 'mate' expecting to be treated like an apprentice or trainee, it's a labouring position so expect to be treated as such.

'Electricians mate' as a job description is just a labourer with a few extra brain cells, it's not necessarily a training position unless you are lucky or it is specifically agreed with the employer.

Don't take on a job as a 'mate' expecting to be treated like an apprentice or trainee, it's a labouring position so expect to be tried as such.

Don't take on a job as a 'mate' expecting to be treated like an apprentice or trainee, it's a labouring position so expect to be treated as such.

Rarely if ever,do I see jobs advertised as trainee though.
I thought being a 'mate' was the way to go.

Rarely if ever,do I see jobs advertised as trainee though.
I thought being a 'mate' was the way to go.

That's proabaly because the normal route in to the job is as an apprentice, and it is cheaper to train an apprentice than an adult trainee.

You might be lucky and receive training as a mate, but it is not automatically a part of the job.

Have you tried asking if you can do more? When I started at level two I didn't know anything, different kettle of fish on site. But watch others and ask to help. If it's for agencies it's totally up to you to push yourself. Do you have any friends who are sparks?

Have you tried asking if you can do more? When I started at level two I didn't know anything, different kettle of fish on site. But watch others and ask to help. If it's for agencies it's totally up to you to push yourself. Do you have any friends who are sparks?
Got a few friends that I've put the word out to that all mainly work domestic.
If I go down the agency route then maybe I will eventually land a job with a firm that can see I'm keen to learn and might let me learn a bit more as I work? Any chance of that you reckon?

op, thought about sending you cv to company's or look on this forum.
loads of jobs down in smokes. (London ).
Your right mate, there is bundles of work, especially for electricians and mates and was actually going to start jumping back on the sites as a mate.
That's why I just wanted to get people's feedback on whether that is the best road to go down due to having a bit of a shitty experience the first time round.

Reply to Difficult gaining experience..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net