Discuss Difficult gaining experience..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've mostly always worked for agencies. Been on the books three times and didn't really like it. Get a decent agency and they'll keep you going. I've been offered jobs with the company's I've subbed to so just keep going. Be the very best at conduit, earn trust and you'll move up. It's a snowball effect when it gets going.
That's good to hear and to know that it is possible to do it that way then.

Did you start as a mate and stay with one employer or bounce around job to job?
And was this all on commercial as well?
I started as a pat tester boring as feck and was promised to be trained as electrician which never happened so i self funded my quals with my redundancy money from previous trade and managed to get a reply from my now employer who has trained me up, not a lot of hours at first but he saw that i worked hard and wanted to achieve a goal of being fully qualified. I worked with a few pat testing firms in between but all were sticker crazy false testing firms. One thing my employer was pleased with is that i was not taking a 5 week so called wonder course to become an electrician i went along the city and guilds diploma route. My work ranged from industrial / commercial and domestic so a bit of everything but he always taught me a variety of installation work.
Im still working towards getting fully qualified but his influence has given me confidence and taught me what i know today.
I consider myself lucky to be honest good mentors are out there. Its been crap at times with little or no work but its now paying off and loyalty has seen me get where i am today.

Give the lad a break!!! He has come for some advice and guidance from people who have been there before and their experience, instead he gets smart arse and sarcastic replies..............

All he is saying that he feels like he isnt progressing like he should and how to go about the situation.

Well if it was me i would keep on applying for other company's and even the days your not working for money i would even do voluntary on the basis that I am getting some hands on work also and then with a bit of experience behind you you are more appealing to other company's, who know they might start paying you and want to take you on, Just keep networking and talking to the lads on site and someone will give you the break you want.

Did you start as a mate and stay with one employer or bounce around job to job?
And was this all on commercial as well?
I started as a pat tester boring as feck and was promised to be trained as electrician which never happened so i self funded my quals with my redundancy money from previous trade and managed to get a reply from my now employer who has trained me up, not a lot of hours at first but he saw that i worked hard and wanted to achieve a goal of being fully qualified. I worked with a few pat testing firms in between but all were sticker crazy false testing firms. One thing my employer was pleased with is that i was not taking a 5 week so called wonder course to become an electrician i went along the city and guilds diploma route. My work ranged from industrial / commercial and domestic so a bit of everything but he always taught me a variety of installation work.
Im still working towards getting fully qualified but his influence has given me confidence and taught me what i know today.
I consider myself lucky to be honest good mentors are out there. Its been crap at times with little or no work but its now paying off and loyalty has seen me get where i am today.

Give the lad a break!!! He has come for some advice and guidance from people who have been there before and their experience, instead he gets smart arse and sarcastic replies..............

All he is saying that he feels like he isnt progressing like he should and how to go about the situation.

Well if it was me i would keep on applying for other company's and even the days your not working for money i would even do voluntary on the basis that I am getting some hands on work also and then with a bit of experience behind you you are more appealing to other company's, who know they might start paying you and want to take you on, Just keep networking and talking to the lads on site and someone will give you the break you want.

out their in the real world it can be lonely & a lot sharks will take advantage of people
I know is was one of them .

If you mean have I got public liability insurance then yes, I was a painter by trade before and still do privates here and there between being a mate.

You can purchase a public liability insurance policy for carrying out electrical work without any qualifications or experience. But the insurance will not be valid, and they won't pay out if you cannot prove competence.

It's the same as car insurance, you don't need a driving licence to buy it, but it sure as hell ain't valid without one!

a company will only insure them self's and the jobs they
work on and do, their insurance company will not insure out side work eg: foreigners.
you need to get your own insurance .
He's talking about painting work on the side - calm down Buzz, have a Haribo!

Next time choke on them you muppet
upload_2017-7-15_22-50-41.png

Reply to Difficult gaining experience..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net