Discuss Difficult gaining experience..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Guys reign the attitude in or we will see a few holiday breaks, give constuctive advice be it negative or positive but stop the personal attacks and attemps to derail the thread, OP has asked the experienced for advice and what i am reading is dragging the forum down in some responses.. get off your high horses and either help or dont post@

sorry, darkwood but some times when people ask questions on this forum and don't some times give the answers ,some times their go on the defensive.

Don't think it was aimed at you Buzz you always reply with the best intentions.

I think that's exactly who it was aimed at, him and a few others make this place very hostile at times and very unwelcoming to genuine people who's only crime is that they know less than him.
Shame really as the forem is great apart from a cliquey few who can't wait to jump in with snide remarks and pathetic comments that make new posters think twice about coming back.

@buzz - I perused the thread and I posted on the general direction it was going, had it been the case anyone had gone beyond what we tolerate then we would have PM them first as it stood I decided a nudge would suffice... feel free to PM me if you need but forun rules are there to protect members regardless of background and or experience.

I feel for you notyetaspark I went down the same sort of route. I wanted to be come a sparky and started at 22 so I was to old to get a proper apprenticeship and had to fund my own college while working for agency's. I did my full technical certificate while working for agency's as a mate while going to college a day a week and it is difficult.

The best advice I can give I to just work hard show them you can do the easy stuff and keep asking to do harder stuff and they will start giving you it. I got my first big break by offering to work on weekends as most sparks for the agency I worked for would not do weekends so it was usually just me and 1 actual spark and that's where I started doing the proper work helping him and maby I was lucky as he actually tried to teach me unlike some sparks you see on site. That's why when ever I work with mates now I always try to teach them and not just tell them to do this and that but actually try to teach them the ins and outs or it and why we are actually doing it and if any problems come up try and get them to have a think what needs doing before I tell them what to do.

It's a hard road when your not employed as a apprentice but you will get there in the end and if your any thing like I was you will end up with a load of experiance in many different sectors of electrical installation.

Good luck.

Sorry for the essay.

I feel for you notyetaspark I went down the same sort of route. I wanted to be come a sparky and started at 22 so I was to old to get a proper apprenticeship and had to fund my own college while working for agency's. I did my full technical certificate while working for agency's as a mate while going to college a day a week and it is difficult.

The best advice I can give I to just work hard show them you can do the easy stuff and keep asking to do harder stuff and they will start giving you it. I got my first big break by offering to work on weekends as most sparks for the agency I worked for would not do weekends so it was usually just me and 1 actual spark and that's where I started doing the proper work helping him and maby I was lucky as he actually tried to teach me unlike some sparks you see on site. That's why when ever I work with mates now I always try to teach them and not just tell them to do this and that but actually try to teach them the ins and outs or it and why we are actually doing it and if any problems come up try and get them to have a think what needs doing before I tell them what to do.

It's a hard road when your not employed as a apprentice but you will get there in the end and if your any thing like I was you will end up with a load of experiance in many different sectors of electrical installation.

Good luck.

Sorry for the essay.
Don't be sorry for the essay mate
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Any decent spark will tell you that the first two years of your apprenticeship is simply grafting. Humping , chopping , fetching and learning the difference between a flanged coupling and a long stand.
The next two years is spent figuring stuff out , how not to do it and also how to fix your mistakes.
Your fifth year is filled with stress and learning to work on your own and realizing that you have to provide all the answers to problems that older sparks seem to know straight off the bat.
Throw in another 5 years learning to supervise / man manage / wipe arses and noses.
Then , when you reach the ten years into the trade sweet-spot , you realize how little you do know and then the real learning curve begins as you rub shoulders with international sparks and want to earn serious splash.
I'm over 30 years into this wonderful trade , learning everyday and never think that I know all this is to know.
Everyday is a school day. I just know the school workings a bit better than others.

What I've noticed with the forum is there's a lot of guys here who feel the need to put the inexperienced guys down while trying to make themselves look like the ultimate sparks.
Best thing is to take on board what they've said and move on, sometimes their hearts are in the right place.

My advice to the OP is just stick at it. You've done the right thing by taking the cut in pay to better yourself. But don't expect anything to happen overnight. I was on minimum wage for 2 years doing everything you are and the likes of taking in the deliveries, loading out the sparks for first fix, going in their plots and tidying it up and when I was lucky I was allowed to do a telephone socket or 2 (impressive or what!?)

If you do it properly then expect to be earning well in 4 or so years. Compare sparking to cooking.
You can either be impatient and stick something in the microwave but if you take the time to prepare a decent meal then you'll be grateful for it afterwards.

Before you know it you'll be like me, up at 3am feeding a baby, posting messages on the forums and reading BS7671 because now you can't sleep :confused:

Guys, just to add to Darkwoods comments if you feel that you are getting unwarranted comments aimed at you then simply hit the report button rather than taking offence and having a go back at that member.
Also remember that you all have the ignore option, so instead of getting into a war of words with a particular member just go on their profile and click the ignore button, that way you won't see what they are saying.

So what your saying is no electrician firm can have people work for them eg.. mates/apprentices without their own electrical insurance?
no.what was meant was that you need PL insurance for any jobs you do for yourself.aka foreigners/homers. as was also pointed out, though, if you are not considered competent, said insurance could be void.

no.what was meant was that you need PL insurance for any jobs you do for yourself.aka foreigners/homers. as was also pointed out, though, if you are not considered competent, said insurance could be void.
Thats what I sort of thought but he obviously didn't read the previous posts properly because not once did I say I was doing jobs for myself.

Thanks for clearing that up though mate.

I already had to clean up this thread last night because of abusive comments. This is not a place where speaking like that to people is acceptable.

Keep the forum polite and friendly!

Thread locked and posts deleted.

Reply to Difficult gaining experience..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock