Discuss Dimable LED GU10's won't turn off. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AlexS

-
Reaction score
Hi

I have three rooms. Two rooms have two lighting points, each with 3 GU10's coming out and 1 room and one point with 3 GU10's.

So I have 5 of these:
Neo Chrome Effect 3 Lamp Round Spotlight Plate | Departments | DIY at B&Q - http://www.diy.com/departments/neo-chrome-effect-3-lamp-round-spotlight-plate/178821_BQ.prd

I replaced my standard GU10 with these dimable LED bulbs (Philips):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KHIM7DC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_P4MUZkddPBdH7

Unfortunately when the dimmer switch is off one of the LED bulbs lights up dimly in each room, which isn't very desirable!

Here is the dimmer switch:
Crabtree 1-Gang 400W Touch Dimmer Pol Chrome Flt Plate - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/crabtree-1-gang-400w-touch-dimmer-pol-chrome-flt-plate/35917

Suggestions please!

Perhaps I should take one GU10 out in each room and put in one standard bulb?

If I have to replace the dimmer switch could anybody recommend a suitable swapout, preferably polished chrome.

Many thanks I appreciate this!

Are your dimmer switches suitable for LEDs? Standard halogen GU10’s draw around 50w each so if you’ve dropped to LED’s at a 10th of the load a standard dimmer won’t work.

According to the pdf for your dimmer it may not be suitable for leds but it could predate leds being now in common use. Does your dimmer have a switch off position or does it just dim down.

Are your dimmer switches suitable for LEDs? Standard halogen GU10’s draw around 50w each so if you’ve dropped to LED’s at a 10th of the load a standard dimmer won’t work.

Hi FatAlan

I've included links for all the equipment used including bulbs, sockets and dimmers.

These Philips LEDs were supposedly going to work with normal dimmer switches.

If I need to replace can anybody recommend good silver chrome sockets? Or anything else good and reliable for that matter?

According to the pdf for your dimmer it may not be suitable for leds but it could predate leds being now in common use. Does your dimmer have a switch off position or does it just dim down.

Thanks.
Press and hold it goes up/down.
Press quickly turns off/on. Although it doesn't fully turn off as described. Many thanks.

Hi - Looking at instructions they don't say suitable for leds so it's pot luck, sorry. Varilight make ones suitable, as do others. But look at specs for confirmation. Here's one that should work (no Wilko Will Fix It warranty though :) ).
V-Pro IR Remote Control / Touch Dimmers- Chrome - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_All/VL_eclique_Touch_Dimmers/VL_eclique_Touch_Dimmers_Chrome/index.html
View attachment 38687

Great thanks!

I guess I need 350W rather than 100W so it can handle standard (non LED) GU10's as well?

Thanks

Many LED's will only dim to 5% not right down to zero. You will most likely need a trailing edge dimmer not the leading edgetype used for halogens. The LED dimmer will also cope with the reduced power requirements - 10 LED's = 1 Halogen so no point in going for a high power dimmer, you want one optimised for low power LED's. It is also best to avoid buying cheap GU10 LED's. Anything under £5 or unbranded not worth bothering with. LED is a fundamentally different technology to halogens so you can't expect to just swap the bulbs if doing more than simple on-off switching.

most dimmers have a min. load. there may also be an induced voltage issue, common with 2 way switching. a snubber sometimes works,

Many LED's will only dim to 5% not right down to zero. You will most likely need a trailing edge dimmer not the leading edgetype used for halogens. The LED dimmer will also cope with the reduced power requirements - 10 LED's = 1 Halogen so no point in going for a high power dimmer, you want one optimised for low power LED's. It is also best to avoid buying cheap GU10 LED's. Anything under £5 or unbranded not worth bothering with. LED is a fundamentally different technology to halogens so you can't expect to just swap the bulbs if doing more than simple on-off switching.

Hi

As you can see in my original post opted for Philips LED's and what each room configuration is. So do I use a 350W dimmer as Wilko recommended or do I go lower. Thanks

it's not the max. wattage that's the problem. it's the min. if you have a load of only 20watts and the dimmer min. is 50watts, that's why. also the dimmer usually needs to be trailing edge.

If you go for a V-Pro silent trailing edge intelligent LED dimmer it will cope with up to 300w which is much more than you need. They are also designed and made in the UK which to my mind is a big + point. A 1 gang dimmer will be around £25 +VAT. LED's are very difficult to dim right down to zero without flickering (although you see it as an LED lamp it may in reality be 25 or so LED chips all in the same housing and any slight variability across the 25 may cause individuals to flicker on and off at low levels) To get round this many dimmers have an adjustable minimum which you can tweak to give you low but stable illumination before pressing the switch to turn them off completely.

If the dimmer module does not have a connection to neutral (which I don't believe the Varilights do), because they require power to operate the touch electronics, it's highly likely the LEDs will continue to glow even when they are "off" due to the current flow through the dimmer.

I know because I've tried a V-Pro touch dimmer and had this exact issue.

Varilight (and others) also sell snubbers that are designed to stop this happening. Last time I looked they were about £25 I think. In the end I decided I'd simply ditch the touch idea and go for a normal rotary dimmer.

Had same issue about a year ago and trying a snubber didn't work; was working with a guy much more experienced than me (electrically) and (think) he came up with some way of switching the neutral as well. Can't for the life of me remember how he did it but am working with him this weekend so will ask. Pretty sure it was only achievable because they had 2 dimmer modules/remotes though

Reply to Dimable LED GU10's won't turn off. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net