Discuss Dimmable lighting problem in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hello,

In a customers bathroom there is a lighting circuit with a tail coming off it going into a mirror with a light and the customer wants the lights on a dimmable switch which the ceiling lights are compatible but the mirror is not, is there any way around this without the obvious of replacing the bathroom mirror? Adding a new feed is also out of the question as it’s recently been decorated and they don’t want any of the building fabric disturbed or no mess made.

Any suggestions would be of great help!

Usually the ‘tail’ to bathroom mirror/cabinet, would be a live feed, in anycase. If the existing luminaire is not dimmable, then it easier to find something more suited to the customers needs.

Does the mirror light go off with the light switch, if not then it will not be affected. If it does it probably is not too difficult to alter.

hello,

In a customers bathroom there is a lighting circuit with a tail coming off it going into a mirror with a light and the customer wants the lights on a dimmable switch which the ceiling lights are compatible but the mirror is not, is there any way around this without the obvious of replacing the bathroom mirror? Adding a new feed is also out of the question as it’s recently been decorated and they don’t want any of the building fabric disturbed or no mess made.

Any suggestions would be of great help!

Another one has a closed profile who doesn’t update the thread ....

Does the mirror light go off with the light switch, if not then it will not be affected. If it does it probably is not too difficult to alter.
Sorry misread your reply, yes all ceiling lights and the mirror light work off a switch previously, but then the customer swapped the light switch with a dimmer switch, which all works fine but when the mirror light is switch on the lights on the ceiling flicker on and off, problem being the mirror light

what kind of cretin customer wants to dim mirror light. it's supposed to be bright so he/she/teenage kids can see and pop their zits. why dim it?

Another one has a closed profile who doesn’t update the thread ....
Pretty sure this has been covered time and time again. It's likely to be to do with GDPR law, and new users requires posts approved by moderators when they first join up

Stick an 'optimistic' tag on this someone....

There is a chance that there is a permanent live at the lights. Maybe not visible, but in a joint box above the ceiling. Move the mirror feed onto the perm live, from the switched live.

Downlights? pendant? You're going to have to do a little detective work. It could be a fairly simple solution.

Sorry but without being there and investigating it is hard to give a certain answer. does the mirror have switches or sensor switches on it? so that if a permanent supply is put to it it can be switched by those.

Reply to Dimmable lighting problem in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net