Discuss Dimmer Query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

BMelectrics

Hey All,

I installed two sets of 6 lights, each set controlled by a dimmer.

When i bypassed the dimmers, i got 240v at the end of line lights.

when the dimmers are connected, i got 208v at the end of line lights.

The dimmer switches were on full, i dont know where im losing the 32v?????

Is the a problem with the dimmer switches??

Thanks

The output waveform of the dimmer is not a sine wave, it has a very steep rising edge. The rising edge often spikes very high momentarily and immediately drops again steeply followed by a more rounded trailing edge. Your tester isn't designed to measure this type of waveform accurately, it's designed to measure nice even sine waves so take the voltage readings with a pinch of salt. Any current readings are also likely to be somewhat inaccurate especially if your ammeter isn't measuring true RMS.

It's also worth noting I've seen cheap electrical testers that show a full dimmer output as being 20 or 30ish volts. This can be especially confusing and dangerous when you're trying to prove isolation from a light fitting. It's not uncommon for digital testers with high input resistances to show a nominal small voltage on a circuit that is fully isolated under normal conditions. The poor interpretation of the dimmer output by the tester might be mistaken for the circuit being in an isolated condition.

It's also worth noting I've seen cheap electrical testers that show a full dimmer output as being 20 or 30ish volts. This can be especially confusing and dangerous when you're trying to prove isolation from a light fitting. It's not uncommon for digital testers with high input resistances to show a nominal small voltage on a circuit that is fully isolated under normal conditions. The poor interpretation of the dimmer output by the tester might be mistaken for the circuit being in an isolated condition.

there's always a curveball thrown!!

Reply to Dimmer Query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock