Discuss Dimmer switch - can anyone tell me which wires does what?? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

baloney

Hi, looking for some expert help here to know if this is something I can fix myself or if I need an expert in :)

In my living/dining room I have a 3 way dimmer switch which controls 3 sets of 2 wall lights. I recently had the room replastered and I accidently shorted one of the live wires to a neutral wire which caused quite a loud ‘pop’ sound. (i know, stupid thing to do!)

I have since made safe and isolated the lights and I plan to put some new wall lights up. However, when I switch the power back on and use a voltage tester to check the wiring at each outlet where the lights will fix to one of them registers nothing.

I am assuming that the dimmer switch has blown a fuse but my concern is that the wiring has been damaged or something elsewhere on the circuit. My question is:

Is there something I can do to check that will tell me if it’s just the fuse in the dimmer that has gone, or if it’s something else?

I have attached a photo here of the wiring in the dimmer switch but it’s not clear to me which each wires does. I would add that the outlet that is currently not registering any voltage has blue and brown wiring, the other two are black and red.
Dimmer switch - can anyone tell me which wires does what?? 20160922_174315 - EletriciansForums.net

I appreciate any expert advice on this J

Thanks.

Hmm interesting. I do not see how you achieved this
I accidently shorted one of the live wires to a neutral wire
as there are NO neutral wires in the box.

Basically, you have a live feed in to the dimmers (the connection with the wavy line) and the outputs to the wall lights which are the one on the three L1 terminals.

Firstly, what do you mean by 'voltage tester'. You'll need a multimeter or a two proble voltage tester. If you are using a neon screwdriver, then throw it away.

Next you'll need to test the output of the three dimmers by checking the voltage between the earth (the wires in teh green/yellow sleeve) and the three L1 terminals when the dimmers are turned on and up to its maximum.

If you get volts on the tthree L1s and not at the wall lights then you may have a wiring fault. Its more likely that you'll find that there's no voltage on one of the L1s. This means one of the dimmers has blown and you'll need to get a new module.

Thanks for your response. I should have been more clear that where I shorted the live to the neutral was at the outlet that is currently not registering voltage. The voltage tester I have been using is just one of those cheap Pen-type testers from local DIY store.

so, you have 2 dimmers working an d 1 not. try swapping the cables in L1 of a working one and the non-working one. if that gets the working and the non-working light swapped over, then it's a blown dimmer. observe safe isolation.

I take it that you have not disconnected any cables or moved any cables around, , that yellow cable that not connected to any thing could be the problem as it may of brocken off, so if you feel competent , isolate all the power (turn the main switch of at your fuse board) connect that yellow cable into a connector block and then turn the power back on check if the yellow cable has any power at it, you might even be able to see which termial of the swiches has a brocken off bit of copper cable in it and it a good chance thats where the yellow cable was connected, but if your not sure get an electrician in they should be able to sort that out in a though minutes.

That yellow wire is actually a yellow/green earth wire, you just cant see the green bit in the photo :) The wires are as they were, both earth wires were not connected.

so, you have 2 dimmers working an d 1 not. try swapping the cables in L1 of a working one and the non-working one. if that gets the working and the non-working light swapped over, then it's a blown dimmer. observe safe isolation.
Ok thanks. As im not sure what all the wires do im thinking the red wire out from the middle section must be going out to feed one of the lights. I know the blue wire on the left is the wire out to the light. So i guess swapping them 2 over is ok?

Ok thanks. As im not sure what all the wires do im thinking the red wire out from the middle section must be going out to feed one of the lights. I know the blue wire on the left is the wire out to the light. So i guess swapping them 2 over is ok?
as long as it's the ones in the L1 terminals. the common terminals ( on the extreme right of each switch) are permanent Lives. one will be IN and the other OUT to the rest of the circuit.

Based on your last two threads mate, I'd be inclined to say nothing except "STOP DOING ELECTRICAL WORK!".

There's DIY competence, and there's totally winging it. It sounds to me like you're winging it. That's two threads you've started where you haven't followed safe isolation. Don't risk it a third time else you might not get the chance to post here about it.

Based on your last two threads mate, I'd be inclined to say nothing except "STOP DOING ELECTRICAL WORK!".

There's DIY competence, and there's totally winging it. It sounds to me like you're winging it. That's two threads you've started where you haven't followed safe isolation. Don't risk it a third time else you might not get the chance to post here about it.

Actually i havent done anything unsafe on my other post, i merely have an issue that i dont understand so was looking for some advice to see if there was anything obvious i am overlooking (seems like im not) Based on responses it looks like i do need someone in to take a look. Granted on this post i originally made an error but have since been properly isolating and staying safe. My confusion comes from a mixture of different wires used which is where i was looking for help prior to calling in experts. Anyway appreciate your suggestion :)

so follow my suggestion. if it's the light on the dimmer with the blue in L1, swap that with the red in L1 of the centre switch. if that cure the non-working light but makes a working light not work, then it's the dimmer blown.

Tha
so follow my suggestion. if it's the light on the dimmer with the blue in L1, swap that with the red in L1 of the centre switch. if that cure the non-working light but makes a working light not work, then it's the dimmer blown.
Thanks for the advice. I tried this but no luck! I dont know what to do next so i have someone coming round next week to take a look :)

Actually i havent done anything unsafe on my other post

Well it reads to me like you've unscrewed a socket outlet front while it was live (else how else would you have been able to use your volt pen?) and many would argue you haven't followed safe isolation there.

Anyway, well done on opting for a professional. :thumbsup:

Reply to Dimmer switch - can anyone tell me which wires does what?? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock