Discuss Dimmer Switches Circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Declanr

Hi, after decorating I have decided to replace 2 old brass dimmer switches with simple new plastic ones.

The circuit has 2 lights operated by dimmers (individual switches) and then a third light operated by a standard switch.

After replacing the 2 dimmer switches I have found everything works (turns on and dims) but if one of the dimmer lights is turned off while the non dimmer light is turned on, the dimmer light glows faintly (same as the lowest on setting) the other dimmer light stays off as expected.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Also the 2 old dimmer lights had the brown wire and blue with brown cover. The 2 were wired differently 2 each other - so one had the brown wire in the light bulb symbol connection and the blue with brown cover in the number 1. Then the other one was the other way round, I have put both now as plain brown wire into the light bulb symbol connection... is this right? Tried it as it was with the old switches and the opposit way around, all seems to end with the same result.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The dimmer switch says single 300W or LED 4 70W and it is just operating a single halogen 46W - 60W dimmable bulb - so I assume that is ok.
The other light has 3 LED bulbs in it, says they are dimmable 7W.

But what is the minimum load rating of the dimmer?
If the connected load is less than the minimum load of the dimmer then you can expect erratic behaviour.
So if the minimum load rating of your dimmer is 60W then your 46W lamp is too small a load for it and erratic behaviour is to be expected .

Ah sorry, understand now. Just checked the paperwork for the switch and it says if you connect a halogen bulb it is minimum 40w and max 240w.

I do have an idea why it is happening yes, you don't know what you are doing. Why don't you get a local spark in to sort it our safely??

it's most likely that the LEDs are causing the problem. they use a different type of dimmer to prevent this flickering. try temporarily replacing one of the LEDs for a halogen. if that stops the flickering, then what i said above.

Some, if not all dimmer switches require the live & load wires, to go to specific terminals for the dimmer. What do the MI state. Did you have LED lamps with the old dimmers?

Reply to Dimmer Switches Circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock