Discuss Dimming Led Lighting. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steviecuk

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi. Wonder if someone can help me.

I am looking to decorate my living room and would like the following...

5x Cool white LED down lighters.
Around 10 metres of cool white LED strip/tape that is going to be built into an alcove.

Now I am planning in the long run on making an Arduino touch screen dimmer using PWM but that is a project for way down the line. For now, I plan on just wiring them all to a normal standard double dimmer wall switch.

Now I have found 'dimmable' GU10's that should work fine through the normal dimmer (I think) at 240v, but I was wondering how I can get the LED tape to dim as I know it is usually done through PWM and I don't know how I can get them to do it.

Can I have some suggestions please? Cost effective solutions that is. lol.

Thanks. Steve

suggest you contact LED Hut and buy everything from them as compatible. then if it don't work rite, chuck the problem back at them.

From what you are trying to do, I would suggest contacting a reputable manufacturer or supplier. Collingwood Light are one such. Read about so many people buying cheap (and dangerous) stuff off ebay, for it not to work or fail after a short time. Sticky LED tape is fine, but invariably becomes un-sticky! Get some aluminium extrusion.

From what you are trying to do, I would suggest contacting a reputable manufacturer or supplier. Collingwood Light are one such. Read about so many people buying cheap (and dangerous) stuff off ebay, for it not to work or fail after a short time. Sticky LED tape is fine, but invariably becomes un-sticky! Get some aluminium extrusion.
The stickiness of the Led tape... tell me about it. I fitted a load to an old club I used to work in only to find it all fallen down one day. I'm going to stick and then staple onto a wooden batten and place in the alcove shining out. I have heard of Collingwood before. Will give them a call Monday.

The stickiness of the Led tape... tell me about it. I fitted a load to an old club I used to work in only to find it all fallen down one day. I'm going to stick and then staple onto a wooden batten and place in the alcove shining out. I have heard of Collingwood before. Will give them a call Monday.
Forget the wooden batten, get some aluminium extrusion, loads companies sell it. You can get it with a diffuser as well.

if you know your way with a soldering iron then either modify the existing controller, or make your own. standard dimmer plate will accommodate bare potentiometers (connected to pwm board) . it does not need to be mains dimmer modules. stick some knobs on them will look just the same.

edit: or a cat5/data cable from the switch box running to an enclosure somewhere, bare potentiometers mounted on dimmer plate connected to a pwm board or arduino plus a power supply in that enclosure.

just keep the mains wiring away from 12v dc, may work having separate back boxes one for mains one for dc.

That is my long term plan to make a touchscreen multipage Arduino controller that will sit in the dinner housing. I'm running the cat5 and DC cables when I decorate in preparation for this, but it'll take time to make and need to have control in the mean time. However I think I have the solution now my using MR16s and running everything 12v for now. (On a seperate thread)

Reply to Dimming Led Lighting. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net