Discuss Dimming Megaman led bulbs. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mork

Has anyone out successfully dimmed 56w or more of megaman dimmable bulbs(8x7wcandle bulbs). I would really love to know, because I cant.

Can you give a link to the exact lamps (bulbs) please? What issues are you having when dimming them ie frequent failures, flickering, etc. Also some info on the exact dimmer you're using would be helpful.

Bulbs 7w 50m/A 230v , dimmers so far Richmond 500/750 and Hamilton(both recommended by wholesaler), the lights are flickering on any dimming range.

The dimmer is very oversized, this could be the problem. 56watts of load on a 500/750 watt dimmer is insufficient. Try a 100/200 watt dimmer and also refer to the Megaman lamp specifications to find if a leading or trailing edge dimmer is required.

Try a danlers res load on the circuit

Also try taking a lamp out and putting one normal halogen in this will give you a idea if u res load will work.

Your to near the base load of the dimmer I think.

I had 6 7w that wouldn't dim without a resload even after I changed to recommended dimmer (varilight)

In another room had 9 and they dimmed ok.

Swap a lamp out for a halogen and you'll find out

Have you tried speaking to megaman? I have!

I had issues with 6w GU10 dimmable lamps and found that varilight dimmers with a minimum load of 10w do the job without flickering. They are trailing edge

A lot of manufactures and importers are trying to sort this problem, but they are using inductive and resistive dimmers, which wont work. Most are now using Silent inteligent dimmers, main sockest TLC, They are a trailing edge electronic dimmer working with a minimum load of 2.5watts, which is low. The said dimmers are now recomended by Phillips, Masterled, Toshiba.
Certainly worth a try

Jason,

I have spoken to Megaman about this and the JQP401W dimmer by varilight comes in various batch numbers. A or B will not work. F or G will. There is a label on the dimmer module. It may work initially then behave eratically. The dimmers can also be reset. I have emails from varilight on this. Ultimately im trying to find a 230v GU10 that works with a 230v dimmer. PM me and ill try and send you some info from megaman and varilight as it sounds like we are in the same boat and may be able to help each other!

Thanks for all the above,usually I use aurora bulbs with aurora dimmers and never had any issues, the megaman bulbs were purchased by the customer like a fool I said it wasn't a problem to dim them, the previous dimmers installed were all recommended by megaman, but big thanks to Dave I contacted magaman myself and for the load & bulbs I have they do now recommend the varilight, its already ordered!

Jason,

I have spoken to Megaman about this and the JQP401W dimmer by varilight comes in various batch numbers. A or B will not work. F or G will. There is a label on the dimmer module. It may work initially then behave eratically. The dimmers can also be reset. I have emails from varilight on this. Ultimately im trying to find a 230v GU10 that works with a 230v dimmer. PM me and ill try and send you some info from megaman and varilight as it sounds like we are in the same boat and may be able to help each other!

Hi Dave/Mork,

From memory, when the wholesaler got them in, he called me to say they were the incorrect type and he needed to reorder them, which are the ones i fitted today, so i am guessing he initially had the A/B type.

I must admit, when power is first applied, the lamps come on, then go off, and then come on again.

I left them on for a while whilst i was finishing off, and didnt have any issues.

I had 6 lamps on one and 9 on the other.

By the way, these dimmers are rated down to 10W.

So, yes, Varilight JQP401W F/G works fine, and will dim them right down, similar to halogens, although that could be down to the lamp.

I hope thats of some use!

:)

Jason,

all the dimmers i have installed are rated 10w minimun load.

they behave erratically full stop - regardless of whether the lamp is an LED or halogen. I think it is a manufacturing issue that affects more than LED'S!

Make sure the dimmers are F/G type. The wholesaler may be unaware of this. As mentioned PM me if you want the specific data from Megaman and Varilight.

Dave

Reply to Dimming Megaman led bulbs. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock