Discuss dimming track lighting with 100W spots and floods in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gibbyisking

Hi I have just got a job in a big community hall. Complete refurbishment. Now they have asked for track lighting for the stage. On it they have 2 100w floods and 5 100W spot lights. Now all they want to control this is a 1gang dimmer switch.

Am I right in saying just any dimmer switch will be fine or is there anything I need to know about.

the majority of the questions i have asked is just to refresh myself. I have been doing industrial work for the last 4 years and only just got in to domestic work again in the last 3 months

You are going to need to check the dimmer you use will be rated for the total Wattage. Plus you need to see if the dimmer is compatable with the type of lamps used.im going to leave this to D-80 as i cant remember the specifics.....:p

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Good answer bugsy, to make it more interesting for lighting effect put a rako module on each light and program one rako controller. Expensive option but it would look good.

If money is no problem then I would add another track at the back of the stage to provide backlighting. But stage lighting (a long time hobby of mine) and 100W lights do not really mix well. The track is usually too high, the spot/flood mix is usually wrong (single bulbs without focussing lenses provide too little contrast).

I'm about to build a rig in our hall to light the village quiz - this has 7 people sitting down plus various scoreboards, etc. We are blessed with a scaffold rig used by the local thespians, so I will be hanging about a dozen 150w mixed flood and spot bulbs in homemade fixtures based on large coffee tins. In addition I'll use a couple of 500w theatrical spots from front of house to highlight faces.

When I light a play in the hall I have a 100A supply into 16 10A dimmers and 4 20A dimmers, plus all the associated theatrical lights (500w-750w - 1000w). And it still looks dim...

My point is that a community hall will be used for many different things. Hall committees don't usually understand the options that are available, and although installing a fully dimmable stage control system is expensive, if they are doing a complete refurb it might be worth their while looking beyond simple tracks. Also the wear and tear on hall equipment is greater than in a normal domestic environment, and in my experience most track systems aren't up to it.

HTH

If money is no problem then I would add another track at the back of the stage to provide backlighting. But stage lighting (a long time hobby of mine) and 100W lights do not really mix well. The track is usually too high, the spot/flood mix is usually wrong (single bulbs without focussing lenses provide too little contrast).

I'm about to build a rig in our hall to light the village quiz - this has 7 people sitting down plus various scoreboards, etc. We are blessed with a scaffold rig used by the local thespians, so I will be hanging about a dozen 150w mixed flood and spot bulbs in homemade fixtures based on large coffee tins. In addition I'll use a couple of 500w theatrical spots from front of house to highlight faces.

When I light a play in the hall I have a 100A supply into 16 10A dimmers and 4 20A dimmers, plus all the associated theatrical lights (500w-750w - 1000w). And it still looks dim...

My point is that a community hall will be used for many different things. Hall committees don't usually understand the options that are available, and although installing a fully dimmable stage control system is expensive, if they are doing a complete refurb it might be worth their while looking beyond simple tracks. Also the wear and tear on hall equipment is greater than in a normal domestic environment, and in my experience most track systems aren't up to it.

HTH

And you probobly have a dmx desk, all very nice but a bit over the top for this paticular situation

right guys what they want is a sylvania lytespan 3 circuit track system with 2 x sylvania torus spotlight with electronic gear and a 34 degree flood lens, lamp is a 100W QT12. also on the track is 5 x sylvania torus spotlight with electronic gear and a 8-12 degree spot lens with 100W QT12 lamps.

All they have specified is 1 dimmer switch to conrol the whole lot. now i have asked the question about conrolling them all individualy and he has asked for me to put a price in.

Now what would you guys price for?

Reply to dimming track lighting with 100W spots and floods in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net