Discuss Diode used with Relay in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

whazza22

Can anyone tell me what the result would be if a diode was put in the opposite way round in a bed light relay? (e.g. a bed head light for a hospital bed)

In the correct terminals but the black stripe on the diode in the wrong way. And its in the extra low voltage side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone tell me what the result would be if a diode was put in the opposite way round in a bed light relay? (e.g. a bed head light for a hospital bed)

In the correct terminals but the black stripe on the diode in the wrong way. And its in the extra low voltage side.

Probably a short circuit. The diode on the relay is to short out the negative voltage spike generated
by the de-energizing relay coil (the moment when the supply to the coil is off). If + is connected to the anode
then the diode is conductive.:)

Virtually a dead short would be created, a fuse would hopefully of failed before any control circuit switch welded closed.

Even oof its extra low voltage and functioning correctly?

Hi,

If the diode is connected across the coil terminals with incorrect polarity, the relay would not energise as the diode would be the path of least resistance, (google blocking diode or flywheel diode).

It might well be a zener diode Zener diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as nothing else would be in circuit and still work, not seen one used in this way though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Diode used with Relay in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Has anyone taken apart their & self repaired it? 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT - Mileage: 112223 - DTCs - P0480 cooling fan. Also codes in TIPM...
Replies
Views
Firstly, please go easy as I'm still a trainee! Working on my L3 2365 I'm having trouble understanding the rationale behind adiabatics...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in Mexico, where I have a small, un-official trailer park on my property. The property is serviced by my privately owned, 650amp...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm not an electrician, more one of those 'competent DIYers', so probably the worst kind :) My electric shower broke, the shower firm came...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock